Chapter 17- Family Reunion

Sedine was dream-visited that night by Salazar Malachite.

"I'd say 'what a pleasant surprise'," Sedine said, glaring at him, "but frankly, cuz, there's nothing pleasant about this."

She glanced at his hands, looking for a knife. He wasn't holding one.

Still, she resisted the urge to brush her fingers over the scar at her neck. And the second one at her shoulder, where Ryle's blade had barely missed her throat.

"Good to see you're still alive." Salazar said dryly.

"I wish you weren't." Sedine spat

"I've not done anything to you." Salazar snapped. "And your little stunt at the capital cost me a lot."

"If I'd had a way that would have sent you to the gallows for sure, I would have used it." Sedine said, clenching her fists. "You and Ryle may have bribed your way out of paying for what you did this time, but just wait."

Salazar was silent for a moment. "Just come home, Sedine. His time is running out."

"And why should I care?" Sedine said. "When he wakes up, will he have you and Ryle sent to the chopping block for what you did to my mother? Will he have Darren and Fayen sent to prison for what the four of you tried to do to me?"

"He's your father, Sedine. You can save him, and you should." Salazar said. "You owe him that much."

Sedine barked out a laugh. "I owe him nothing."

But I do owe my mother justice. I owe my sister and step-father safety from those monsters. I owe it to everyone that's helped me to stay alive.

"Why don't you heal him, cousin?" Sedine asked. "Or should I say brother?"

Salazar stiffened. "How...?"

"Strange that your mother, who has experience with three different dream-visitors doesn't know how to tell when one's lucid. I guess her sons don't visit very often." Sedine said. "Did you know she still dreams of him?"

"Watch your mouth." Salazar warned.

"It took barely any prodding to get her to tell me the whole story." Sedine said. "What a shame. You, the true son of the duke of Malachite, would have to watch either your elder brother, who is only the nephew to the duke, or the bastard daughter of a common tavern-lightskirt steal the inheritance that should be yours."

Salazar's mother's tale had cleared up a lot of things for Sedine; like why her 'cousin' had hated her so fiercely from the moment they'd met.

He had no hope of inheriting. Their father couldn't reveal he'd fathered a son with his own brother's wife without a scandal. And he certainly couldn't make that child the heir without significant protest from his vassals.

But Sedine still had the chance to become the heir, even if it was a slim one.

In Salazar's eyes, that chance wasn't so slim. The duke's trueborn children and his brother were dead. Darren was a disappointment. He couldn't choose Salazar for fear that the true parentage of his "nephew" would come to light.

"Shut your mouth, or so help me..." Salazar snarled.

"You'll do what?" Sedine asked sweetly. "Stab me, again? I don't see a knife in your hand. You could break my neck, like you did to my mother, but... You kill me and you lose your chance to get your father back."

An idea came to her, and she smiled, tapping her cheek. "Perhaps I should get a promise from father that you'll get what you deserve once he's awake! What an excellent idea!"

She ripped herself from the dream before he could say anything else.

"Again?" Pinky sighed when she woke up gasping for air.

"Sorry," Sedine apologized. "It'll probably happen at least one more time tonight."

"Whatever." Pinky said, shutting her eyes.

Sedine entered her father's dream. It was boring, which she should have expected.

He sat on the floor of an empty room.

"Wakey-wakey!" Sedine said, clapping her hands.

His eyes snapped open.

"Sedine?" he said. "What happened? Did I collapse?"

"Yeah." Sedine said.

"I'm so glad you're here!" he said, reaching out and grabbing her shoulders. "I knew you'd awaken your powers soon!"

"Don't touch me." Sedine said, slapping his hands away.

"How long has it been?" he asked.

"A year and a half." Sedine said.

"That long? You didn't awaken the... um... other power?"

"Oh I did," Sedine said, examining her nails.

"Just recently, then?"

"No, a year and a half ago." Sedine said.

"...why am I still in a coma?"

"I had to flee the country." Sedine said. "Your son made sure of that."

"My... Sedine, you don't know what you're talking about." Her father said, blanching.

"Don't I?" Sedine asked, raising an eyebrow.

"What did your cousins do?" he said. "Tell me everything."

So he's just going to deny it. Interesting.

"A week after you collapsed, when they were sure you weren't going to wake up any time soon, they decided to take the opportunity to get rid of the filthy bastard child." Sedine said. "They had Fayen Collis lure me out into the woods, and then,"

She drew her hand across her neck. Her father's eyes widened in horror.

"I tore into Salazar's hand with my nails as soon as I realized what was happening. Prince Ryle took the knife to my neck, but I fought like hell. I managed to move enough that he struck my shoulder instead. " Sedine said. "Salazar and Darren grabbed me, so that Ryle couldn't miss again."

And Fayen stood back and watched.

"And then my blood healed the cut I made on Salazar's hand. He was surprised enough that he loosened his grip and I ran." Sedine said.

"It'll be safe enough to come back now that your powers have awakened." He promised. "I'll keep you safe once you've woken me up."

"I'm perfectly safe where I am." Sedine said. "That same night I escaped, Salazar and Ryle murdered me mother."

The duke's mouth dropped open.

"If I come back, and I heal you;" Sedine said. "Will you assure me that Salazar will swing? Will you assure me that you'll do what you can to send the prince the same direction? Can you promise me that Darren and Fayen Collis will rot in prison for attempted murder?"

"Sedine, I can't... they're my nephews, for the sake of the gods!"

"One of them is your nephew." Sedine corrected. "And of that is the decision you've made, then so be it. I won't try to change your mind."

"Thank you for understanding, Sedine." He said. "We'll fix this as soon as I'm awake, I promise."

"You misunderstand me." Sedine said coldly. "If you wake, it will be by your own power. I have set my conditions, and you have refused them. Enjoy your rest, father."

"Sed-!"

His words cut off as she stepped out of the dream, and fell back into her body.