CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX:

After about thirty minutes of continuous, relentless anxiety, Aurelio heard an engine rev and when he peeked down through the window, his dad was driving into the garage. He let out a breath, relieved. Then he felt stupid for freaking out.

Blair had to leave now too, so they walked down the stairs to the foyer. She leant in for a quick goodbye kiss, but without really meaning to, Aurelio tilted his head away. He didn't know why he did that. With a tired sigh, he said, "Shit. I just...I don't know what's wrong today."

"Don't apologize." Blair gently swatted his shoulder. "I understand. If you ever kiss me even if I don't want to, I'd kick your ass."

Aurelio chuckled. Blair was such a good, understanding friend. No—girlfriend. She was his girlfriend. He was really unfocused today. Aurelio opened the door, and she slipped outside just as his dad came in. The two exchanged greetings. Then he smiled at Aurelio.

Aurelio's dad was a tall, scrawny man. He looked worn out most of the time, mostly because of his job as an electrician, and still his eyes were kind and full of warmth. He put an arm around Aurelio's shoulder and careened him along into the corridor.

"How was work today?" Aurelio asked.

"Well, the best part of it is when I come home and see you."

Aurelio's mom came out of her office, and she smiled when she saw them. His parents chatted a little about their work today, then his dad went off to shower, after which he'd help prepare dinner the way he always did.

So in about twenty minutes, the three were gathered in the kitchen. Aurelio's parents stood at the stove and counter. They chopped the vegetables and cooked the pasta, and Aurelio set the plates and the utensils on the table. Occasionally he looked at them, at the way his dad nudged his mom, whispered in her ear and made her blush and laugh. Aurelio wanted to feel safe and happy. But instead, a creeping terror welled in his chest.

When the food was done, they sat down and ate. Aurelio stabbed the pasta with his fork, hunched forward, elbow on the table.

"So," Aurelio's dad said, grinning that little teasing grin. "Leslie was here, huh?"

Aurelio frowned. "You mean Blair."

"Oh. That was Blair?" His dad chuckled, shaking his head. "I thought that was Leslie but she dyed her hair or something."

"Nah. Leslie wouldn't stay here this late anyway. You know what her mom's like."

A collective "Yeah, we know," came out of Aurelio's parents, accompanied by pursed lips and raised brows. They'd known that woman for years, and the stories they told Aurelio about her clicked in well with her behavior and how she treated Leslie. A real shame, because Leslie deserved so much better than that.

When they finished eating, Aurelio's parents decided to have some wine. Aurelio followed his mom with his eyes as she reached up to the cabinet and grabbed the bottle, then fetched two Bordeaux glasses and placed them on the table. She poured into the cups—quarter, then half, then filled to the brim. They drank, and then his mother made for a refill. It made Aurelio panic.

"No," Aurelio said without thinking.

His mother looked at him with a concerned frown. "What?"

"One glass's enough, please."

"Elio, sweetheart, don't worry. We know what we're doing."

She was right. They were adults. They knew how much they should drink, and it was nighttime anyway—they weren't driving anywhere. But here Aurelio was again, worrying about things he shouldn't worry about, another fear with no basis.