Chapter 21

Y/n's POV

Luca, Giulia, and I just made it back to the house where Senor Marcovaldo was making pasta for dinner. Once we enter we see him with a bowl of pasta already ready.

"Oh, there you are. I made your favorite, trenette al pesto," Senor Marcovaldo told us as he turned around an looked at us. I still had blood stain on my nose, so I covered it so that he wouldn't notice. But he sure did notice one thing. "Where's Alberto?" He asks.

"Uh, he left, Senor Marcovaldo," Luca answers as I look down.

Senor Marcovaldo then places down the bowl of pasta and walks towards the door, where he puts on his hat.

"Do you know where he went?" He then asked us.

"No. But I don't think he wants anyone looking for him," Luca responds.

"Maybe not. But just in case," Senor Marcovaldo then says as he picks up a lamp while the cat jumps on his shoulder, and they both leave.

And once the door closes, that was when I put my hand down.

"Okay. Well, the three of us can still do the race. You'll swim, Y/n will eat..." Luca starts saying.

"Luca, I..." Giulia tries to tell him, but he continues to talk.

"...and I'll do the ride. I mean, that's allowed, right?" He says.

"Luca," Giulia says.

"It should be fine..."

"Luca?"

"...we're still okay..."

"Luca!" Giulia then yells as she picks up a glass of water and splashes Luca with it. Out of instincts, Luca raises his hands to try and block the water from hitting him, but his hands then turn into his sea monster ones.

My eyes widen at this. Now she knows that he's a sea monster.

Giulia then looks at me with curiosity. I already knew what she was asking in her head, so I pick up the other glass of water and splash the water all over my face, revealing my (1/f/c) scaly face. Now she understood everything.

"Sleeping under the fish. Now I get it," Giulia tells herself.

"Uh, I can explain," Luca says as he wipes the water off his hands and I wipe the water off my face. Now that my face was wet, I was able to get the blood stain off as well.

"Of all the places for sea monsters to visit, Portorosso? Have you seen this town? My father hunts sea monsters! Luca, Y/n, you have to get out of here," Giulia tells us as she starts to lead us to the door.

"But I thought we were underdogs," I stated.

"Do you think I want you guys to leave? This is the happiest I've... Look, it's just not worth it," Giulia tells us.

"You don't understand," Luca tells Giulia.

"No, I don't. Risking your life for a Vespa?" Giulia then questions.

"Our family was going to send us away. That's why we did this," I state.

It was silent for a few seconds until Luca talks.

"But it's over now," Luca says as he then lets out a sigh. He then turns around to head for the door. "Goodbye, Giulia. I'm sorry," Luca says while I wave goodbye as he and I then walk out of the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luca and I are by the shore, just sitting on the pebbles as we look down. I then look up and, in the distance, I could see the island that we were once at when we first met Alberto.