Chapter 15

Karli and the rest of her radical group put the GRC on lockdown, trapping them at their command center here in New York. Sam calls us almost as soon as I saw the news, so we hurry back to my apartment to change into our uniform before heading that way.

"So much for date night," I say sarcastically as we hurry down the streets to the scene.

"Trust me, we'll have plenty more," Bucky says, reassuring me.

We get to the command center and see that everyone is gathered outside the building. Cop lights and sirens coming from every direction. Finally, Sam comes in through the comm.

"Almost there," he says.

"What's the plan?"  Bucky asks.

"We're already here. They could be anywhere," I say, looking all around me as Bucky and I walk further into the crowd.

"Just keep your eyes open," Sam orders, "And just so you know, I called in some backup."

We walk straight past the guards at the front door, them nodding at us letting us know we're good to move forward. But a man stops us, a man I don't recognize.

"Excuse me, are you supposed to be here?" he asks.

We both turn around and glare at him with a confused look. But the person is using a photostatic veil, revealing it to be Sharon.

"It's just me," she says.

"Sharon, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"No one knows I'm here," she says, leading us forward.

"Is that Sharon?" Sam asks.

She laughs, "Hey, Sam. Figured I'd get the band back together."

"Thank you, Sharon. Really. You're risking a lot being here," Sam says.

Bucky and I continue to scan the area. "I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be anyways," Sharon says.

"Depends on the therapist," Bucky says.

"I'll be in the building soon. Be ready," Sam says.

"Aye, aye, Captain," I say, watching the skies above us, finally seeing Sam fly over us.

After a minute, Sam comes back through on the comm, "Guys, what's going on on your end?"

"Nothing, no one's moving toward the building," I say.

"Karli's not coming in. She's forcing everyone out," Sam says.

"So we keep everyone inside," I say.

We all walk inside the building to try to keep everyone in. Alarms going off everywhere trying to get people to evacuate the building. A big guy rounds the corner, but happens to not see us.

"We need to split up to find the evac. We'll cover more ground that way," I say. "Me and Sharon will go down. Buck, you go up."

Me and Sharon start to walk away, but Bucky grabs my arm and turns me back to him. "Be careful," he says sternly.

"Always. You too," I say, smiling with my eyes.

Sharon and I head downstairs into the parking garage. We immediately jump behind one of the pillars to not be seen. As soon as we get down there, I see the two evac vans pull out of the garage. The passengers are in route already.

"Bucky, the evac is already gone," I say through the comm.

"Then come on," he says, running through the stairwell door and towards the motorcycles parked in the garage.