Chapter 6: Why?!

August's POV

4 days later....

I was tunin my violin on the porch because Mrs. Dianna just arrived this mornin and told me to have a song ready for when her guest arrive.

She said they were very important and we spent hours cleanin the whole farm. I even got me some shoes. I only had one pair in my life and I stole em off this dead body I found by a riva in New York.

I was tried for a pair by a close friend of mr. Danbury's. They were a pair of brown oxfords with brown laces. The fit perfectly on me.

"Did Dianna make any mention of who's coming?" Danbury said taking a seat next to me on the steps.

"No sir".

"Well its headin on seven o'clock and its gettin late maybe they'll come tomorrow". I looked up and saw a light comin down the path.

"Maybe that's them" I pointed to what I saw and he stood, I reckon to get a better look.

"No August them aren't the kinda guest you want". He grabbed my shirt pullin me into the house with em, I could here yellin from the people from a far.

"Get Julie and tell her its one of those times". He had this look in His eyes like he saw death before him.

"Yes sir". I ran up stairs and passed Rosa's room and saw her puttin things under the floor boards.

I kept goin though. I ran up there and saw her gettin dressed.

"Mr. Dan-"

"I saw em. This isn't the first this has happened". She zipped the skirt up and laced up her shoes.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me down the steps. Ruby handed her a something and she put it in her shirt. Ruby kissed my cheeks and Julie grabbed my hand takin me down the stairs again.

"Okay my darlin I set everythin up. Autumn, John, and the baby are safe and everyone is prepared for anythin". He kissed her nose and gave her a weak smile.

"What's going on?" I lifted my brows in confusion.

"It's the Lynch mob". Oh hell! I felt my heart stop as if I was shot in it. I've heard of them people. They come by request only. I heard they cost $20 per head.

"Okay if this time is the last time-"

"Don't say that". Emerald said takin Jackson.

"Be realistic. You all know where my will is". Julie nodded and took my hand. We all headed upstairs.

Julie made sure everyone was secure before we went to our room. She locked the door from the inside and shut all the curtains and blew out the candles.

She joined me on my bed and laid on my chest.

"What are they gonna do when they get here?" I asked as I rubbed her back. It's healin well and she's not in as much pain as before.

"I have no idea. Last time they was here they beat January near to death. He couldn't leave bed for almost a year". I felt that pain in my heart rise.

"Don't be scared August it's gonna be alright". She kissed my lips and wrapped her arms around me.

"So what do we do?"

"We wait". I took in a breath and ran my fingers in her hair.

Then I heard a noise that I haven't heard in a while and a flash of a memory came to me.

"August are you okay?" I felt my breathing speed up as I kept seeing it.

"Why is their dogs?" I sat up and put my hands on my ears.