Chapter Two: August

Julie's POV

"Julie its time to go clean up and hand Jackson to Dianna, so we can leave". I nodded and walked passed him into the house.

I walked up stairs to Dianna's room and she was sleeping.

"Mrs. D" I whispered.

"What do you need girl?!" Did I say earlier that she hates me?

"I'm heading to the auction with Mr. Danbury and he gave me orders to give Jackson to you" she sat up and looked at me with dark eyes.

"Give him here" I walked over to her bed and put him in her arms. But he stated crying loudly.

"Oh hush boy!" I bowed my head before leaving the room and traveling up another flight of stairs and walked to the only one up there.

I opened the door and took all my clothes off quickly and opened my dresser for a new outfit. I pulled a plain white long sleeve shirt over my head and opened another drawer and pulled the Red skirt over my legs up to the the middle of my stomach so the shirt was tucked. I zipped it in the back and ran to find my good shoes. I nearly tripped over this darn skirts. Dianna made sure all our skirts were like this, straight to the floor, no ankle was to be shown. I found the leather brown boots I had received on my last birthday and laced them over my socks. I tied the strings tightly and stood up straight, I looked in the cracked mirror, which Dianna broke, with a satisfied smile. I slipped on the gold ring on my thumb with Danbury's name carved in, just in case I might run away, someone will know who I am. He doesn't believe in branding and I'm glad of it. I grabbed my comb and parted my hair in the middle as Mr. Danbury requires and ran out of my room.

"Julie the driver is waiting!" I ran down the stairs and met him at the door. We walked out as I heard Jacksons small heartbreaking cries. I ignored it and followed Mr. Danbury down the dirt path and to the couch. He opened the door and I got in first, he climbed in and closed the door. The driver made a noise and the horses began to trot.

"What are you looking for today at the auction Mr. Danbury?" He swirled his facial hair in thought.

"Someone with talent. Its rather quite around the farm and I heard Larry Grayson is selling a young boy about your age who can play the violin". I nodded.

"It would be nice for someone my age around there". He laughed knowingly. Everyone on the farm was on their way to 40 and didn't pay any mind. So I was rather lonely. Except for June and Autumn they're in their mid twenties.

"You don't enjoy conversation with a old geezer such as myself?". I smiled with a laugh.

"Oh no sir. I love our talks and all but it would be nice for someone who shares the same mind as I". He nodded understanding my words.

"And I shall find you such a companion".

We made it in to town right in time. The driver opened the door and we made our way out.

He held on to my elbow as he held himself up with his cane. We walked through the crowd of people with ease. Of course others have evil looks as I passed through. I'm very much used to it, but I always keep a watchful eye.

"Now I'm looking into the Violin boy but if you see one of those young men who look like they fit you, you nod". I replied with a yes and stood next to him.

I noticed a white man pulling chains aggressively. The rattling noises started to play in my ears loudly. I looked down at the ground in shame. I don't want to look at them like that.

"Come on you filthy niggers!" I wiped my hands on my skirt in fear. I hate that word.

I looked up and 8 boys were lined up shoulder to shoulder chained at the neck, wrist, and ankles. I saw blood stains on their skin that made my heart break for them. I noticed I was  the only servant here.