The Mobster's Daughter: Chapter 21

"What the hell does this guy eat?! He's so heavy." Lexi grunted, as we rolled what used to be Andrew into the furnace.
"Idunno Lex. But I'm just glad he's gone." I checked my watch and began counting down.
"3,2,1." I smiled as the furnace lit automatically. Okay, so I was going to hell. But at least my two best friends were going with me.

After we'd gone back upstairs, Lexi and I cleaned up the mess that was left then got ready to leave. I stood over Lexi as she took her contacts out and pulled her hair back, tapping my foot.
"Stop doing that. I'm done." She snapped, but I knew she was only anxious to see her brother again.

Being back in the country I'd fled was slightly unnerving, but it was for Liam. Once we'd left the airport and gotten a Taxi, I directed him to take us to the end of my former street, refusing to acknowledge the familiar surroundings.
"This is your old house?" Lexi whistled lowly, while we crouched in the tall shrubs behind my former home. Being back at the place where my father died caused my eyes to burn slightly, but I blinked back the tears and shoved the thought to the back of my mind, focusing on the task at hand.

There was movement inside, I could tell even in the darkness which immediately told me something was wrong. Since my father owned the house- well technically I guess I owned it - there wouldn't be anybody else living in it. But also, since nobody had been paying the bills, there would be no electricity, which explained the darkness inside.
"There shouldn't be anybody here." I whispered, drawing my gun. Darting through the shadows, I came upon the kitchen window with Lexi right behind me. Taking a quick peek, I found nothing but darkness, and cursed under my breath.
"This one's unlocked." Lexi informed me from where she crouched beside the only window in my basement. I rolled my eyes, how could I forget that?

Once inside, I noticed that even though the house was shrouded in darkness, it was also silent. I crept up the stairs, and jiggled the knob, frowning when it was locked. I waved Lexi forward, and she stepped in front of me, pulling a credit card from her back pocket. After a few minutes of silent cursing, the door swung open. I leapt forward and caught it before it could smash against the wall. I shot Lexi a look, even though she probably couldn't see it in the dark, and continued on. Silence was key, we couldn't blow our cover. Not that we knew what we were hiding from anyway.
Stepping around the corner, I froze when a loose floorboard protested. When nobody jumped out with guns and/or deranged animals, I grabbed Lexi's hand and pulled her along. She didn't know the floor plan as well as I did and would most likely make noise whilst stumbling around in complete darkness. Somebody had obviously closed all the curtains since we'd been in the backyard.
I pulled Lexi into the living room, and ran silently over the the couch, where I could hear somebody breathing. Lexi squeezed my hand to show she heard it to. I couldn't see anything, so I couldn't tell if the figure was male or female but it didn't matter. They were intruding.
I hesitantly took a couple more steps forward until I stood looming over the figure. I pressed my gun to where I thought was the head, and breathing in the room stopped altogether and tension rose.
"Just couldn't stay away could you?" I gasped at the familiar voice.