The First Cut is the Deepest

Your Pov

The first thing I see this morning when I enter the locker room is a flyer. Meredith's flyer to be exact. And it says :

Roommates wanted

Three nice rooms with a shared bath available immediately, close to Seattle Grace.

Near coffee shop, public transportation, shopping, and convenient to almost everything. Non-smokers only please, no pets & absolutely no Bush supporters need to apply. All applicants will need to have a credit check completed. First & last month's rent plus a deposit is required to move in.

Well, that actually doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I should ask her about this later cause the hotel has started to get expensive. Excited to start a new day I quickly change into my scrubs. Today I'm wearing a dark blue sweater underneath it.

I go to leave the locker room when I see Izzie, Meredith, George, and Cristina discussing the flyer. Dang it, I'm too late. Or am I?

I: "Why put up posters if you don't want roommates? Oh hi Y/n"

Y: "Good morning peeps! Meredith, trust me you would love me as a roommate! I'm great. "

M: "We're together 100 hours a week. You wanna live together too? "

With George talking about his mother ironing his scrubs and Izzie saying she can cook and clean I have tough competition. Cristina doesn't seem interested in all of this. Oh, there's Bailey!

In a fierce tone, she tells us what to do for the day. I am on sutures.

"Great! We get to do sutures together that's gonna be fun! " I shush Izzie while trying to concentrate on the conversation going on behind me.

"Dr. Bailey, I was hoping to assist you in the OR today. Mocha Latte? " I knew it, the Mocha was a bribe.

"If she gets to cut, then I wanna cut! " Cristina says and we agree nodding and saying " Me too! "

"Stop talking. Every Intern wants to perform their first surgery. That's not your job. do you know what your job is? To make your Resident happy. Do I look happy? No. Why? Because my Interns are whiny. You know what will make me look happy? having the code team staffed, the trauma pages answered, having the weekend labs delivered, and someone down in the pit doing sutures. No one holds a scalpel till I'm so happy I'm Mary-freaking-Poppins. " she turns her back to us and starts walking up the stairs.

"Wow rough." I look up as she stops and turns back to us.

"Why are y'all standing there? Move! " she screams our way. And we spread apart. Izzie and I are making our way down to the pit.

I am doing my first suture on a little girl who bumped her head at the corner of a table when Izzie pulls open the curtain between us.

"Do you speak Chinese? " she askes.

"No, but I do speak Spanish if that helps you in any type of way." I look at her waiting for a response but she just turns away and screams the same question through the room but nobody answers.

I have moved on to my sixth suture and so has Izzie I guess she didn't need the Chinese after all. Oh, never mind there she is still with the Chinese lady.

"Hey, where did your patient go?" I ask when I look behind the curtain only to see Izzie without her patient.

"I did what I could and then I had to let her go. I couldn't understand her but I feel so bad about it." she looks up at me with big eyes.

"Well, if it was that important then she'll come back don't worry about it." I put my arm around her shoulder and we start walking away.

In the famous hallway

I: "We've been suturing all day. My hands are numb."

G: "At least you're helping people."

A: "At least you get to practice freakin'medicine."

M: "So the police say they can't send a crime-scene guy down for hours, so I have to spend the night with a penis...... Alex, don't say it."

A: "Aw, it was too easy anyway."

George lets himself fall onto one of the hospital beds next to me.

"Who here feels like they have no idea what they are doing? " he raises his hand and all six of us join in.

G: "I mean we are supposed to be learning something? I don't feel like I'm learning anything."

I: "Except how not to sleep."

C: "You know it's like there's this wall. Attendings and Residents are over there being surgeons, and we're over here being..."

M: "Suturing, code-running, lab delivering penis minders."

Y: "I hate being an Intern."

A: "Me too."

Bailey enters the room and I sit up a little straighter. She looks at us and we immediately get up and start walking away. Izzie makes her way to one of the nurses and asks if there is anyone left that needs stitches and the nurse shakes her head no.

"Stevens, isn't that Ms. Lo? " I say looking at the Chinese woman Izzie took care of a few hours ago. Iz follows my gaze and starts walking behind her out the doors into the rain. I follow her curious to see what's going on.

The woman leads us behind a fence and reveals a younger woman with a bad head injury.

"Oh my god," Izzie whispers as I get down on my knees to inspect the girl's forehead. The girl speaks a little bit of English and explains that she can't come inside because she is illegal in this country.

"Izzie you stay here I'm gonna go get some things to help her." I decide as I get up and run inside the hospital to get supplies hoping no one is going to see me. Quickly I run to the supply closet and put the equipment we need in my pockets.

I give Izzie the suture kit and she starts working on the cut.

"Ok, all sewn up. It would have been better with more light. It might leave a scar." Iz tells the woman, but she seemed to be very happy with what we did.

"We will need you to come back in about five days to check the wound and remove the stitches. Here's my pagers number on the card. Page us if you need us." I say as I hand her a little paper card.

"But please don't tell anyone that we helped you outside of the hospital or we might lose our job. Ok? We'll see you in five days right back here." the woman nods as she turns away.

"Good job Iz. Come on let's go back inside before we catch a cold." I put my arm around her shoulder for the second time today and squeeze her into my side as we start walking back inside.

Back in the locker room

C: "I need a drink, a man, or a massage. What's wrong with you? "

G: "I lost five patients today. I feel like the angel of death."

Y: "George there is only a 5 percent chance the patient will come back to life, most of them are seriously dead when you get there."

George looks at me in disbelief with a look on his face that says couldn't you have told me sooner but I ignore him. And lay back down on the ground. I fall asleep and only wake up when Mer kicks me in the ribs.

"Hey! " I say with a sleepy voice.

"Come on let's go. You can sleep at home." Meredith helps me get up and we follow Izzie and George out of the big glass doors.

Authors note

I hope you liked it! 😇