Giving In To Temptation

Clarisse snapped her fingers.

"Earth to Sophia," she called, waving her hand across Sophia's face.

Sophia snapped out of her thoughts.

"What is it?" She asked, slightly irritated.

"We have a ball to prepare for, remember?" Clarisse reminded benevolently.

"Juliette's it is," Sophia said with a depressing sigh.

_

"My priority is making sure I'm able to breathe, Juliette, not suffocate from this tiny torture device," Sophia said to the other lady in the vicinity, totally aware of the fact that that tiny torture device had a name.

Juliette seemed displeased after hearing Sophia's comment.

"It is my duty to make sure you look your best, your grace. And if a tight corset is what it takes to get you there, then..."

Sophia yelped in excruciating pain as she was yanked back and felt her waist tighten.

"MIND YOU, I'VE MENTIONED THAT I DESIRE TO BE ABLE TO BREATHE IN THIS!" Sophia nearly shouted, wincing.

"IF I AM TO FAINT DURING A BALL HELD FOR MY RETURN, MY BLOOD IS ON YOUR HANDS," Sophia continued, looking at Juliette with a menacing glare.

Either Juliette had realized her place, or she valued her job and wanted to maintain her role as Sophia's royal seamstress.

Juliette shrunk back down, mumbling and muttering to herself as she continued her work.

_

"When are you taking it upon yourself to find someone other than family to enter a ballroom with?" Louis questioned as he and Sophia walked in the ballroom, hand-in-hand, just as the ball was to start.

"Brother!" Sophia gasped theatrically.

"And I thought you liked my company," she dismally.

Louis had scarcely any time to reply, being greeted by a cacophony of applause.

It took both the royal siblings a while to comprehend that the applause was for them both, despite the known fact that this ball was held in honour of their return.

It was a rare sight, seeing both the royals in the palace, seeing as they'd refused to return to the palace endless amounts of times in the past.

She managed a smile at the audience, that was before her eyes darted towards what now had her heed.

"Nicholas," she breathed.

It was a similar situation as before, him being hounded by ladies - royals specifically - from all over the world.

In the mix of ladies, she noticed princesses, dames, viscountesses, and many more.

She found herself taken aback at the ladies taking an actual interest in the man she found an 'indecent windbag.

'They could've done so much better,' she muttered.

"They're staring," Louis told her abruptly.

"Yes, they are," Sophia agreed, staring right at Nicholas.

"I'm not referring to Nicholas this time, Soph," Louis said, evidently wincing.

Sophia turned her attention to her surroundings, and Louis was absolutely right.

Around her were men eyeing her. Some did it subtly, and some did it far more noticeably.

She directed a dirty look to all the men around her with a look that made them avert their longing gaze at her.

She wondered if she should've felt regretful regarding what she'd chosen to wear, seeing as she currently had practically every man's attention - all but one, of course.

She'd kept it simple and classy with a red v-neck evening gown made of silk satin fabric with a high slit, wisely pairing the ensemble with a pair of signature red Louboutins as well as a pair of diamond-pearl earrings that went famously with her luscious brown hair tied up in a slightly messy bun.

One royal tried to test his luck and shoot his shot, walking over to the duchess whilst Louis was preoccupied, chatting with Julia nearby.

The man bowed; Sophia recognized him as an earl from Sanguis, immediately knowing his true intentions for approaching her.

"The pleasure is mine in meeting you, your grace," he greeted with the utmost politeness.

Sophia scoffed.

'Keep calm,' she chanted to herself merely seconds before she spat out, "The pleasure is yours entirely."

"What a gem," he said, his eyes now narrowed.

Sophia was left muddled by his odd praise.

"And how is that?" Sophia asked, scoffing for entertaining him in the first place.

Had it not been obvious enough, he'd only approached her with the intent of her title.

"Lovely on the outside, yet ugly-"

Sophia seemed more infatuated with her watch than the earl right before she cocked her head to the side.

"Continue that sentence of yours, the guards aren't too far away and we both know I'd have you thrown in the dungeon in... a couple of minutes tops?" Sophia taunted.

The insulted earl scoffed, glaring daggers at her before he took his leave, only to hear Sophia laugh in delight as he moved further away from her.

Sophia paid him no heed, moving her attention back to Nicholas, who had disappeared from where he once was.

She nudged her brother, who had witnessed her and Jordan's conversation.

"Managed to see where he ran off to?" She questioned curiously.

Louis stifled a laugh before handing her a glass of wine which she graciously accepted.

"Behind you, Soph."

"What are you talking about?" Sophia asked before taking a sip of the same wine Louis had handed to her.

She heard someone clear their throat, causing her to whip around in surprise.

Wide-eyed, Sophia kept her eyes on Nicholas.

Remiss, Nicholas asked, slightly hopeful, "Changed your mind?"

His dulcet tones egging her on and had he not have asked her that, she would've concurred. Yet, she decided not to let her ego get in the way of what she had to do.

It was keeping a ruse with him or letting that rotten stepmother of hers stay queen.

The answer was obvious, and regardless of how she felt doing such a thing with him, currently, it was her only choice.

She sighed, knowing she'd have to agree eventually.

And if she were to be truthful, she wasn't too upset about the offer. She hadn't the slightest idea why, but she went with it. After all, the advantages of the deal extended to herself.

"And if I were to say I did change my mind?" Sophia asked, testing out the waters.