Perfection Himself

He scoffed at the sight. Out of everyone it could've been, it was her he was asked to meet. The irony. 

Sophia had quite a different look on her face, although she couldn't help it. His looks were capable of that reaction.

Standing at the threshold, was a man with looks able to render any person speechless. Calling him attractive was undoubtedly a huge understatement. 

With jet-black hair that framed a face only able to be described as perfection himself, a pair of intense, piercing dark grey eyes, along with the sharpest, most defined jawline she'd ever seen in her life; she couldn't help but gawk in awe. His figure was no help either, him being tall, broad in the shoulders, and muscular, as she would later come to find out.

He was simply breathtaking. An accurate description of his looks could be the epitome of beauty itself. He was that good-looking. It took her a reminder to remember it was the same man she'd stolen a cab from. Not a great reminder.

Her heart had stopped momentarily, as she froze, not moving one bit. She would have fainted had she not fancied embarrassing herself in front of the gorgeous man.

"So you're the woman she wanted me to meet, you're Julia's granddaughter, I suppose," the man said with a distasteful laugh, one that managed to discourage Sophia from apologizing at all. Even if some part of her found his laugh charming.

Bewildered, Nicholas blinked. He could've sworn he felt his heart beating faster than usual. He covertly wondered why he was that way.

He uttered under his breath, 'Well, the family resemblance is evident, no wonder she looked familiar to me.'

His gaze on her remained. She was certainly alluring, which wasn't appalling.

Her hazel brown eyes were easy to get lost in, whilst shoulder-length wavy black hair framed her face. Her rosy cheeks were a light shade of rose pink, and her lips were the colour of blood-red rubies. 

Sophia looked at him apologetically, which was quite rare on her part - being apologetic - forcing back a stammer, still star-struck from his incredible appearance that barely enabled her to string a sentence together, much less apologize for her previous immoral actions.

"Oh my god, it's you. I'm so sorry for what happened earlier, I was in a rush and I-"

Grandmere stopped her, interrupting their conversation.

"Hold on, you two already know each other?" She asked quite curiously, looking back and forth from Sophia and the man still standing at the threshold.

Sophia awkwardly shifted her feet, before a voice piped in, answering instead of her.

"We met at the airport," he answered, unwilling to share any other details.

Julia blinked. She blinked once more.

"Is that the case?" She asked intently.

Louis craned his neck towards his sister, quite curious himself, asking in a hushed tone and a mischievous manner, "And what kind of circumstances were they for you to have reacted that way?"

Sophia shot him a look of dismay and annoyance, eyes narrowed and eyebrows furrowed.

Albeit she was thankful he had stepped up to answer grandmere's question - even after what she had done, stealing his cab and all - she had to admit, there was something about him that made her feel... strange and somehow... fluttery. It was all so strange and unfamiliar.

'Don't ask,' she glared.

Louis sighed exasperatedly. He knew better than to continue pestering his sister for more information, choosing the wise option of remaining quiet.

Julia looked at the man still standing over at the threshold, observing him from the distance. He'd looked far different from the last time they'd met. Then again, that last time was years ago, whilst Nicholas was in his adolescence.

Over the years, they'd kept contact, even whilst Nicholas was occupied with his royal duties, Julia was a special case. She was the nearest thing to family, despite the fact Nicholas had his own family, he found his mentor the next best thing, especially since his own family couldn't pay him a care in the world, prince or not.

"I see you've already met my granddaughter, Sophia," Julia nodded slowly.

Nicholas nodded in return, muttering to himself, 'Her reputation perceives her; her first impression, no different.'

Regardless of his words Julia managed to overhear, she continued, moderating the entire conversation, playing the role of matchmaker - or at least attempting to.

"Since the two of you've already met, I'll get straight to the point," Julia declared before she looked over at Nicholas fondly.

"Nicholas dear, before I say anything, have a seat," Julia said, gesturing to him to take a seat on one of the lounge chairs.

She'd always had a soft spot for her grandchildren, even if she was strict whilst raising them. Whatever it was she was about to say, whatever Sophia or Louis would do wouldn't sway her decision.

Nevertheless, once Nicholas was comfortably seated, Julia cleared her throat.

She started by saying, "I've chosen someone I'd trust with my life - and the kingdom - a person who's the closest thing I have to a son, excluding my two wonderful grandchildren."

She turned to Sophia, while she extended a hand, gesturing to the man seated on another one of the living room's plush cushioned chairs, he himself unaware of Julia's true plans for him.

But, for Sophia, it was a different situation.

She was struck with realization before she panicked. Why had she been so blind?

Fighting back tears, she whispered, "No, no, no, no, please no. Grandmere, no. Just, no."

It was the first time in years she was horrified. She wasn't the kind of person to be intimidated easily, much less be horrified or frightened for herself. It was clearly visible that this was weighty to her.

Miserable, pitiful and helpless as she watched grandmere continue on, announcing the news to everyone else in the room, everyone else being Louis and Louis alone. 

Who else did she have? 

She had come to right before grandmere finished her announcement, hearing grandmere declare ever so carefully, "Sophia dear, meet Prince Nicholas Richard Alexander Maine Ambrose from the kingdom of Sanguis, the man I want you to wed."