Name-Calling, With the Added Bonus of Marriages

No matter how much Sophia loved grandmere, this was something she simply couldn't do.

She flat-out refused to marry some stranger she had just met that same day. The news was still raw, as grandmere's words replayed in her head. The thought itself brought tears to her eyes, and although she knew the words grandmere was going to say before she said it officially, having it put out there, the idea sounded terrible.

With tears stinging her eyes, she resorted to her coping mechanism, sarcasm.

'Grandmere chose him out of any person in this world, I love my life, really,' Sophia uttered in disbelief, denial - and if not obvious enough - sarcasm.

Nicholas seemed to have a similar initial reaction as Sophia did, almost choking on his beverage.

Had it been anyone else, he would've been outraged. Whereas, Julia was a special person in his life. She was more of a parental figure than his own parents ever were.

Noticing both Sophia and Nicholas' astonished expressions, Julia sighed, knowing them all too well.

"Grandmere, this is ridiculous!" Sophia exclaimed.

"I love you, grandmere, but this is too much of an ask," Sophia sputtered.

Nicholas chimed in, helping Sophia out.

"With all due respect, your majesty, as much as I appreciate the offer, I'm going to have to decline," Nicholas said politely.

Julia looked seriously at the two.

"It's amusing the two of you think you can negotiate your way out of this, but, there will be no arguments, this is a final decision," she clarified if it hadn't been clear as it is.

Sophia's heart dropped, and by then, Nicholas had looked like someone had punched him right in the face.

He was speechless and dumbfounded, yet he knew better than to question her doings.

Louis was just as shocked as Sophia and Nicholas, as his mouth opened and closed, flapping uselessly as he tried to string a sentence together.

As they were about to argue, a butler approached the dowager queen with news to share.

"Your majesty, your presence is requested by the other ministers, Queen Emilia is acting up," the butler informed.

Julia muttered under her breath, annoyed, "That wretched daughter-in-law of mine; what is she up to this time?"

She sighed, shaking her head in disappointment as her gaze returned on her granddaughter and the man she was matchmaking her with.

"I'll have to take my leave now, but I want the both of you to get to know each other," she instructed as she stood up, straightening her priceless dress as she glided gracefully out the room.

Louis tried to hide his expression of amusement as he turned to his sister.

Sophia noticed his expression, as she shot him a look that could kill.

She didn't believe in love. Had she known she'd be set up with a man to wed, she'd have stayed abroad.

Louis knew it'd be better if he left, but he remained anyway, knowing his sister was better off with him there.

Once he came to, the atmosphere had vastly changed.

Nicholas glared at Sophia.

"Taxi-thief," he said mockingly.

Sophia bit her lip.

"If I hadn't apologized enough, I'm terribly sorry about that," she apologized.