Her, Marrying Him? Never

Had Sophia been driving a car, she'd have slammed her foot to the pedal and stopped everything she was doing.

"Come again?" She asked sceptically with wide eyes, albeit her question went unnoticed as Nicholas continued, on a roll.

"With you and me seeming like we've both fallen in love, and having the best of times with each other, the presumptuous ladies trying to court me will finally leave me alone, assuming me unavailable, while you already have a means to an end to the problem Julia just gave you," he elucidated.

"And what makes you assume I'd agree to this plan in the first place?" Sophia asked.

Nicholas reasoned, "Given that you refuse to wed me, and I you, this solves both our issues, and as your grandmere informed me, there is to be a ball being held this evening, in a few hour's time. Besides, you have nothing to lose now, do you not?"

"Already having your grandmere's approval, it is the perfect setting and place for it all to start, the perfect grounds to pretend we're madly in love," he profounded.

Sophia pondered about it, the benefits it'd have, excluding the fact that she'd have to eventually tell Louis what she felt about Nicholas while playing along with the 'pretending to be in love' arrangement, thinking she'd have to pretence when she didn't. She couldn't fathom she was considering it.

"A ridiculous idea, truly. What makes you think I'd give my assent in the first place?" Sophia asked sharply, her heart beating madly out of her chest as she tried to act hesitant and doubtful. Despite the fact that she knew he was right. Indeed, she had nothing to lose.

In addition, grandmere would be overjoyed, not to mention she'd find out the reason why she longed for him whilst keeping up the ruse.

With someone she'd pretend to be in love with, it'd leave the others to assume that she already had a partner to rule Beldovia with, a man who was a prince, no less. A man already raised to take over the throne. No matter if feelings were real or a sham, it'd end up benefiting both her and whoever her future significant other may be, prince or no prince.

Even if she had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain, she still refused to accede.

"What do you think this is, some lifetime movie? This is a reality, your royal highness, we can't go on and do something this...rash," Sophia said with a scowl.

"I suppose you're refusing?" Nicholas questioned, neither confirming nor denying anything Sophia had said.

Sophia blinked in incredulity, at a crossroads, split between two decisions. One, to accept and falsely achieve this major coup; second, to decline and remain nothing more than acquaintances.

Her heart screamed for the first, her mind the second. Any compromises she could possibly think of non-existent. It was the former or the latter.

She grumbled, "I suppose I'll have to consider the arrangement."

"What was that?" Nicholas asked, smug.

"Don't make me repeat myself, and don't think I can't discern that this benefits yourself more than it does me," she spat back.

Nicholas chuckled.

"Well I'll just have to discern you'll come to a decision before the end of the ball," he presumed.

Sophia rolled her eyes.

"If I must."

"In that case, I'll see you this evening," Nicholas said, bowing mockingly before he made his exit.

As soon as Nicholas left, Sophia growled.

'Why am I acquitting myself this way?' Sophia said as she grilled herself for the whys and hows.