You Remind Me Of Mary

"Aah!" Peter winced yet again, as he felt the needle come into contact with his skin.

"Peter, you are such a fucking baby." MJ laughed.

"Hold my hand." Peter said, interlocking his fingers with MJ's.

He felt like he was going to pass out any second.

It was his idea to get a tattoo to match MJ's once he'd gotten to Chicago. MJ had said something along the lines of he really didn't need to do that, but Peter had insisted.

Even though he couldn't compare what he was feeling to what he knew MJ was feeling everyday, it was like the more time went on, the more he thought about Lani and how different life would be if she was here.

The more he thought about what MJ had to go through all alone, the more he wished he was there for all those little things she experienced. He wished he could've been the one to hold her hand. Tell her he understood. Cry along with her when she lost everything.

The least he could do was get the tattoo.

Chicago was just as Peter had remembered. It was freezing when he'd landed at the airport a few hours ago. Oliver had come with MJ to pick him up, then dropped them off at the tattoo parlor. MJ had said it was the only available appointment for a week. His flight was delayed, so they really had no time to waste. And they only had four days together before Peter had to go back to New York.

Peter was laying on a long, slightly ripped, brown leather chair. The guy tattooing him was huge, and every part of his body that was exposed was covered in tattoos. Peter had pointed out the long, scaly fire breathing dragon on his bicep and said it looked like Miles. MJ had just given him a weird look. She had pointed out the angel on his neck and told the tattoo guy - his name was Roy - that she thought it was super pretty.

Peter had decided to get his tattoo on his ankle. And it's safe to say he didn't think it would hurt this bad.

"He's only done the L." MJ laughed again, as Roy wiped a little of Peter's blood with a small cloth.

"You know it hurts less if you stop moving." Roy said, his voice low and husky. He sounded like he was already tired of Peter squirming.

"Yeah, don't move." MJ smiled at Peter, pushing her hands through his hair.

He looked at her yet again. She was sat nearer to him, away from Roy, in an incredibly soft, mustard sweater and black leggings. Her eyes always seemed to sparkle every time Peter hadn't looked in them for a while. She squeezed his hand a little as she leant over him. Her hair was super long now.

"Why is lavender your favorite scent?" Peter asked her randomly, clearly trying to distract himself.

MJ shook her head at him, smiling.

"My grandma used to dry up lavender flowers. " MJ said to him. "She used to braid them into my hair when I was younger. It kind of just stuck. Mom said I never wanted my hair to smell like any other thing after she died."

Peter nodded, biting his lip a little.

"It's almost done." MJ said, looking over at his foot quickly.

He wondered if Miles held her hand the way Peter was doing when she got her own tattoo. Then he started to think that she probably didn't even need someone to hold her hand at all. He could almost imagine Miles asking her if she was okay, and her brushing him off. She would close her eyes and tell whoever was doing it to get it over with. That's just the kind of person she was.

"Okay." Roy mumbled, putting down the needle. "You're done."

Peter gritted his teeth as Roy wiped the tattoo with some alcohol and placed a transparent bandage on it. He sat up slowly, readjusting his Berkeley hoodie and genuinely feeling dizzy. When he saw the tattoo, he smiled to himself a little bit.