Never Have I Ever

Gwen was sat cross-legged on Peter's bed, her long straight blonde hair pinned back with two green hairclips. She had her iPad on her lap, and her Apple Pencil in the other. It was a cloudy Friday evening, and Peter had invited Gwen over to get a head start on their Linear Algebra homework. She was wearing a bright green Pangaia hoodie. It looked expensive, Peter had thought, and it hid the denim shorts she was wearing underneath.

Peter was sat at his own desk by his bed, his notebook in front of him, as he held the back of his pencil in between his teeth. He combed his hands through his hair as he stared at the set of matrices in front of him. He was also in his Midtown hoodie, which he always wore the second it was even remotely cold.

"Ugh, I'm already over this shit." Peter sighed, slamming his pencil down on his desk, before putting his hands to his head.

"Me too." Gwen said, pushing up her glasses. "But I think I've got the answer for problem 3."

She looked up and smiled a little, before passing Peter her iPad.

"You're a life saver." He muttered, scanning her work.

"We definitely help each other out." Gwen said, grabbing her phone from her desk. She scrolled through her phone for a while, smiling to herself.

"Wanna see something cool, Peter?"

"Sure." Peter said, as his mind processed the last of the math in front of him.

Gwen stood up and walked towards him, then knelt down next to him, her phone in her hands. She paused a bit, tapping on the screen before turning the phone towards him.

"My Dad sent me this photo last night after I FaceTimed him." She said, watching Peter carefully.

"Mm hm." Peter mumbled, staring at the photo.

There were two tiny babies in cots right next to each other. The one on the left was asleep and dressed in what looked like a white ribbed jumpsuit, a matching hat on their head. The one on the right's eyes were slightly open. Peter noticed they were a dark brown. It looked like the baby was wearing the same ribbed jumpsuit in blue - no hat this time - just wisps of curly brown hair on its head.

"Holy shit." Peter said, almost grabbing Gwen's phone. "Is that me on the right?"

Gwen nodded.

"And that's me on the left." She said, shuffling on her knees so she could look at the photo with Peter. "I told my parents I'd met a Peter, and they were like- 'wait, Peter Parker?'  Then my Dad dug up some archives and sent me this. Apparently, this was taken in the hospital. Our moms met because they were sharing a ward-"

"Wait, when's your birthday, Gwen?" Peter asked, looking up at her now.

"August 11th." She said. "I'm guessing you were born on the 10th?"

Peter nodded, his mouth slightly open in disbelief.

"We were just hours apart." Gwen smiled, her hazel eyes beaming. "My Dad said he had a few phone calls with your parents whilst they were alive. When I was born, he had to move us down to Pennsylvania because of his work, but he tried to keep in touch. Your mom Mary would send pictures of you to my Mom, the first few years we were growing up."

Peter just kept looking at the photo. It looked like it had been printed from a film camera. The date 08-12-2001 was pasted in the top corner. Peter had mentioned in conversation to Gwen about his parents death a few days ago. She'd seemed quite troubled about it - kept on asking Peter if he was okay, the usual. Peter kind of hated that piece of information about himself that he had to always eventually share with someone new.