Miles Morales

Peter 's 'Tech Bears' shirt didn't look too bad on him.

At least that's what Ned said when he'd left for his shift this morning. He still kind of didn't know where he was going, and he was still kind of nervous.

Li Mei wasn't going to be there, but she had reassured Peter over text that he could take it easy today and there'd be other Tech Bears around in the studio to help him out with customers.

His shift was between 10am and 12pm and then HQ was closed for the rest of Saturday. This Saturday being Frat Saturday in particular.

Peter was the only one on the shuttle bus, and he was kind of not mad about that it, because he could plug in his AirPods and listen to Frank Ocean. And close his eyes and picture that he was riding the crowded subway to school in New York, instead of 2000 miles from home.

He hummed as he looked out of the window, still trying to figure out where the hell he should be stopping. His phone buzzed.

'Any chance you're at Tech Bears this morning?'

For a split second, Peter had forgotten that he saw MJ yesterday afternoon. And that they had messaged each other till he got tired and fallen asleep on the hammock, and Brad had shaken him awake and told him he'd be much more comfortable in his own bed.

'There's a chance. Why? What's not functioning?'

It was weird speaking to her over text, Peter thought.
Weird he couldn't just turn around to her and say whatever he liked, and know exactly how she'd react because he just knew her that well.

She sounded like the old MJ though.

Not the girl he'd left in Chicago. The one that he thought might break into a thousand pieces if he hugged her too hard by accident.

The MJ he found lying in that park. God, it still made him feel numb sometimes. He'd forgiven her for all that though. All the pain she caused when she got way too drunk. When she overdosed. When her and her mother planned an abortion and didn't think to tell him. He'd chosen to put all of that behind him.

At least that what he was telling himself.

'My laptop's being shitty. Keeps disconnecting from the WiFi and not connecting to the printers :/'

Well, Peter could actually think of a few different ways to solve her problem. Maybe try connecting through the Berkeley portal, he thought. The WiFi was much more reliable, and she could download the printer software so she could print anytime and anywhere on her laptop. Peter could easily text her some easy steps for things to try. No need for MJ to come all the way to HQ.

'Come in at 10. We can help you with that.'

Peter arrived to his shift right on time. He pushed open the glass doors and nervously checked himself in on the screen at the front with his student card.

He could see ahead of him that there was someone else occupying one of the desks, already clicking away at the mouse.

Peter adjusted the collar of his T-shirt and walked down between the aisle of desks, making his way to the one in front of the stranger.

"Hey - Peter right?" He heard a soft, Californian accent say.

"Uh...yeah. I'm Peter Parker."
Peter smiled, awkwardly gesturing out his hand.

"I'm Miles." The guy said, shaking Peter's hand. "Miles Morales. Sophomore. Computer Science and Robotics. You?"

The first thing Peter noticed was that Miles had greenish brown eyes. Beautiful brown, glossy skin. His hair was curly and dark, his stubble clean shaven. He had arms like he actually worked out, Peter thought. In fact, maybe that shirt was a little too tight for him.