Prologue

"I-I can't, I can't say goodbye, I can't lose you, I-I can't just give you up," Sophia said, her voice hoarse, her face a waterfall from which tears flowed down.

Her dark black hair whipped in the fierce wind as her eyes which used to shimmer with the reflection of shooting stars were now as transparent as a cloudless sky.

And yet, the slightest bit of hope shimmered in her eyes.

Her lips were close to oozing the liquid that's hue matched the shade of her blood-red lips, as she thought of any possible way to break free of this nightmare, even after the countless times she'd told herself this couldn't be possible, that the love of her life was perfectly fine, that this was all just a dream, even though she knew that couldn't possibly be real.

Across her, a man looked lovingly at her, pure admiration and affection in his eyes as he spoke.

"You don't have to, my love, everyone has to die, it's inevitable. The important thing is that I had a great life, and you, you only managed to make it better," a man assured, the lower half of his body disintegrating. He fought back tears, trying to be strong for the love of his life, even if the thought of losing her was enough to break him completely.

In reality, he had already passed, but they hadn't had the chance to say their goodbyes.

"That's not true! I need you, Nicholas!" Sophia pleaded breathlessly.

She wished for another chance to have him in her embrace once again. She'd do anything if it could turn back the clock, even if a small part of her knew that nothing she could say or do could fix anything.

His life had been taken much too soon, and she'd give anything to be with him once more, whatever it took.

The man, or Nicholas, as Sophia called him, placed his hand on her cheek, using his thumb to wipe her tears away.

"Do not cry, my love. Not because of me. You know it pains me to see you like this," he said as the rest of his middle section disintegrated into ashes. Time was ticking.

Sophia sobbed, unable to do anything as she watched the love of her life gradually fade into ashes.

"I'll never love again," she said through sobs.

Nicholas smiled adoringly.

"It's a big world out there, one I was lucky enough to have lived in, with you," he said as his eyes flickered with sadness.

Back in reality, he had lost his life that same morning - on the day that was supposed to be the happiest day of his life.

Sadly, this was their last interaction with each other before they'd be separated for the rest of this lifetime, or so they thought.

Nicholas apologized, the sadness and guilt evident in his voice, "My love, I'm sorry. I won't be able to be there for you anymore."

Sophia shook her head, tears shining.

"This isn't fair, it isn't your fault," she sniffled, before deciding, "I'll wait for you," as she wiped her still-flowing tears.

"As long as it takes, Nicholas," she whispered, watching his shoulder turn into ashes, a sign that time was lessening by the seconds they spent with each other, saying their goodbyes.

This would be the last time they'd ever see each other.

Fate could be so cruel at times, although, for all the memories and times they had shared together, it was all worth it.

The two rather had a few minutes to spend with each other rather than a lifetime with anyone else.

They'd promised not to break each others' hearts, and not to love each other in partial measures. They hadn't known that this meant taking the biggest risk, meaning having to face their worst fear. Losing each other.