Chapter 6

Buzz! Buzz! Jorge's phone was vibrating on the table. Leslie looked at Jorge. Jorge was standing stiff looking across the room at his phone vibrating loudly. "Are you gonna answer that, dad?" Leslie asked. Jorge took a deep breath and sighed. He walked up towards the table where his phone was at and looked at the caller ID that said 'unknown'. Jorge finally answered the phone and before he had a chance to say anything, Sergio said "meet at 'El Blanco' restaurant tomorrow at 6pm. Bring your best strap." Sergio hung up. Jorge stood there with the phone in his hand and was staring at the wall not saying anything. "What did I get myself into?" The thought kept cycling in his head over and over like a dog chasing its tail. "Whats wrong dad? Who called?" Leslie asked. Jorge was silent for a moment and then replied, "Nobody. They did not say anything, they just hung up." Jorge was getting tired of lying to his daughter, but he did what he had to, to cover his situation. Jorge and Leslie went to bed and called it a night. The next morning, Jorge woke up to Leslie yelling "Wake up, dad! I made you breakfast. What are we gonna do to celebrate your birthday today?" Leslie asked. Leslie was more excited than Jorge on celebrating his birthday. He couldn't give an answer right away because he honestly did not know what to do, so he told Leslie, " Surprise me. You pick." Leslie grinned from cheek to cheek. "Okay. Eat your breakfast and then let's get ready to leave." Leslie said. She left the room joyfully and went to go get herself ready. Jorge ate his breakfast that consisted of four big, fluffy, pancakes with original maple syrup and six pieces of bacon with a tall glass of orange juice. Jorge put his plates and cup in the sink and proceeded to find his favorite outfit to wear, which was a black 'Polo Assn.' Polo shirt and a lightwash pair of jeans with zip pockets on the sides and his yeezy breds that were black and had a little red on them. He grabbed his outfit and went into the bathroom and got the shower ready. Jorge finished getting ready and Leslie was fully ready standing at the front door. "You look good, dad. Are you ready to go?" Leslie asked. Jorge grabbed his keys off the wall by the door and said "Yes I am, lead the way." They got in the car and Leslie started giving him directions on where to go. "We are here, find a close parking space by the building." Leslie demanded. They got out of the car and Jorge found himself at a movie theater for the first time in years. "I think you will really like this movie, dad. Its called 'Rise of The Dead'. Its a zombie movie." Leslie remarked. "I figured that by the name of the movie." Jorge said sarcastically. They went up to the ticket booth and bought themselves two tickets for the movie and then proceeded to the concession stand. "What do you want?" Jorge asked. Leslie looked around and took awhile to choose something. "You are gonna make us late to the movie." Jorge said jokingly. "Ugh. Fine. I'll get this." Leslie said picking up a bag of recees milk chocolate peanut butter covered pretzels. "Good choice." Jorge said. "I will take a large white cheddar buttured popcorn with a large coke, no ice." Jorge said to the worker. Jorge and Leslie made their way to the auditorium that was given by their tickets. Jorge walked up towards the back, middle area where he could find where the best view was located. They watched the movie and Jorge was really intrigued the entire time. The movie finished and Leslie said "wow. That was a great movie, huh dad?" Jorge shook his head yes and said "yeah, it was pretty good. I liked the idea of the movie, it was a different twisted ending you usually don't see. A man is protecting his family in the zombie apocalypse and it turns out that he was dreaming everything." Jorge opened the door for Leslie and she said "See? I told you that you would like it." They started driving home and Leslie saw a sign on the road that said "carnival downtown from 12pm to 5pm." "Lets go to the carnival, dad." Leslie said. They arrive at the carnival and buy wristbands to ride any ride unlimited times and to play all games for free. The two enjoyed the rest of their time at the carnival. It was now almost time for Jorge to meet Sergio at the restaurant. Jorge and Leslie arrived home. "I really appreciate that you were really excited to celebrate my birthday." Jorge said. Leslie smiled big. "No problem, dad. I am always happy to spend time together." Leslie replied. Jorge looked at his phone to see the time and said "i got to go to work right now honey." Leslies grin turned upside down because she was gonna miss her dad since they did not get to hang out much since Jorge was always working a lot to pay for her surgery. "I love you." Jorge said as he kissed her forehead. "I love you too, dad. " Leslie replied. "Also, I'm gonna have the neighbor watch over you and check in on you every now and then. Dont want anything to happen to you again." Jorge stated as he grabbed his keys off the wall. "Okay, dad. Have a good day at work." Leslie said. Jorge smiled and walked out the door and got in his car. He grabbed his pack of Newport menthols out of his pocket and grabbed one by his mouth and lit his cigarette. He sat there in his car smoking his newports and thinking about how this situation he is in, will play out. He finished three cigarettes and started his car and drove to 'El Blanco', where Sergio told him to meet. Jorge drove there without listening to music to give himself time to think about all the consequences from what he got himself into. Jorge arrived at the restaurant and parked his car where he could see all the vehicles and inside the windows. Jorge did not see Sergio in any of the vehicles. Jorge turned his car off and got out and walked inside the restaurant and went up to the counter and seen Sergio in the back, wearing a black suit with a gold tie. Sergio turned his attention towards Jorge. Sergio walked up to the counter and said "come to the back office with me." Sergio walked Jorge back and jorge followed him. "Take a seat, Mr. Guzman. You feeling alright today?" Sergio asked. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why am I here?" Jorge asked. Sergio nodded and reached down in a cabinet below where he was sitting and pulled out a tan folder and opened it up and slid it over to Jorge. "I got a protection job that im gonna need someone like you to do. My crew is gonna do a drop in one of Mexico's worst cities, Sinaloa. You are gonna protect my shipment, no matter what with my men. Rival cartels previously took out my men and robbed my deliveries, so I need you at your best. You have everything you need? I dont see what gun you brought with you, do you have one?" Sergio asked. Jorge shook his head yes and lifted his shirt, showing his 1911 with a bunch of filled magazines. "That's all you brought?!" Sergio asked. "Its all i will need, trust me." Jorge responded. Sergio called someone on his phone and a minute later, a man came in the office and told Jorge to come with him. They got on the truck and began their delivery.