chapter nineteen | 𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒗𝒂𝒍 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒅

Today somebody new would arrive with the box. You were pretty excited, because even though you've already experienced it once, it was still an event and something which brings variety in the Glade's everyday life. In addition you would get to enjoy another bonfire night and since your back got better, you planned to dance the night away and just enjoy your life for a few hours. Even though Hank and the others warned you to not overstrain yourself.

Right now you sat beside Frypan and Leo under a canopy of the homestead, peeling potatoes - a lot of potatoes. Because Frypan has decided that for today's bonfire night he would serve spinach and gruyère potato casserole. Which was basically potatoes gratinated with spinach and a mixture of egg and gruyère, a hard cheese with a fruity note, which later on turns into a nutty aroma. It was quite an easy dish, but in order to feed the whole Glade, the simple act of peeling potatoes took longer than the cooking itself.

"What do you think the new greenie will be like?" Leo began to philosophize. Right then you noticed that you haven't even thought about that. In the last few days you were way too busy with your back and when you had thought about the box arrival, you always only made up your mind about the bonfire afterwards, never particularly the new greenie himself. "I don't know and I don't care. All I know is that I need to feed another shank and don't he even dare to raid my fridge!" Frypan complained and wiped away the sweat on his forehead.

"Don't worry Frypan. I'll help you with cooking" you tried to cheer him up and Leo nodded "I'll also be able to help you more from now on. The harvest is over and the new plants need their time to grow, so I don't think I'll be needed in the gardens that much". These words actually seemed to help Frypan relax a little bit, since he began to smile and even chuckle "You two really are too nice to be true". "Do you think it is possible that the new Glader could be a girl?" you asked the boys sitting next to you.

"Of course it is possible. I mean you're sitting right next to me" Frypan looked at you and you rolled your eyes "Yeah of course, but I mean do you think it is possible that more girls are coming into the Glade? Obviously last time it was Chuck who arrived, but what if this is the whole point? Maybe boys and girls start to arrive alternately? So this time it would be a girl to arrive" You explained your theory with nervous gasps in between. You really wished for a girl to arrive. Certainly you loved your friends with all of your heart, but sometimes it would be nice to talk to a girl over certain things. "I mean the theory makes sense. I would be pleased to see that you have some company" Leo claimed with a warm smile.

Suddenly the piercing alarm, signaling that the box was about to arrive, goes off all around the Glade. Shocked, Leo let his knife and the potato he was just peeling fall to the ground and you stood up, seeing that some Gladers already made their way to the box. You looked around to Frypan who was still peeling the potatoes, it seemed like he wanted to be finished before looking after the new Greenie. Even though you were excited and felt the urge to see if your theory was correct, you decided to help Frypan finish peeling the potatoes. After all you would see the new Greenie everyday from now on.

Leo also sat back down and grabbed a new potato to peel. "You don't need to help me. I can finish the last few on my own." Frypan assured the two of you, but you only shrugged your shoulders "It will be faster when we do it together" and with that all of you did their best to finish peeling the potatoes as fast as possible. And just as you've said before, it was faster with everyone helping. In fact, you were finished, before the alarm even turned off.

While the three of you walked towards the metal doors on the floor, which covered the shaft with the box, you met Newt midway. You greeted him with a hug and he walked close by your side, moreover the two of you let yourselves fall behind a little bit until you walked alone with him. "Are you nervous?" Newt asked and turned his head to look at you. "A little bit," you confessed while playing with your fingers, "I just want to know if it might be a girl this time... anyway, are you nervous?" you asked back.