chapter four | 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒋𝒐𝒃𝒔𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒉

You woke up from a dreamless night, but left your eyes closed. You were not ready yet to finish with this peaceful moment. You heard the birds sing and a slight breeze caressed your face. You took deep slow breaths and paid attention to the things around you: the rustle of the leaves, the sun hitting your closed eyelids and the snoring of the other Gladers. You still didn't fully realize the situation you were in, it was so unreal, yet it was everything you have ever known. You allowed your mind to wander around and search for any other memories than the Glade, but it only gave you a headache.

Suddenly the warm sunlight on your eyelids was replaced with a cooling shadow. You opened one eye slightly to see who disturbed your peaceful moment, but just saw a dark silhouette caused by the sun behind him. "Rise and shine" the boy said and you recognized the voice of Minho. You sat up and smoothed your hair real quick "Good morning" you mumbled "Is it already time to wake up?", you asked as you looked around to find the other boys still sleeping.

"Well at least not for them," Minho answered with a slight chuckle and rested his hands on his hips "but for you, Angel". "Why do I need to get up so ea-... wait, what did you just call me?", as you realized that Minho didn't call you by your real name but rather 'Angel' your face heated up. "Angel. Newt has a nickname for you, so I thought about giving you one as well" he explained as if it was the most normal thing in the world, maybe he just didn't know how to speak to a girl? You were the first girl he ever met after all... "And I wanted you to keep me company".

"What do you mean with that?" you asked, "I'm a runner" Minho started "and I need to get going in a few minutes, so I wanted to talk to you. It is your first real day in the Glade and we won't see each other until afternoon. So... will you walk with me?" he asked with a charming smile, he knew exactly what he was doing. So you decided not to hurt his ego and play along: "Of course, why not?" you got up and started to walk with Minho around the Glade.

The animals started to wake up and the sky turned from a red-orange mix into a deep blue more and more with every step you two took. "I'm sorry about yesterday" Minho suddenly said "The party was meant to celebrate your arrival and I completely ruined it" Minho looked to the ground, he really seemed to be sorry "Don't worry about it, I enjoyed it" you said reassuringly. "You enjoyed it? The bonfire or that you got to spend some time alone with me?" he looked at you and smirked. You didn't want to give him the satisfaction that you would also look at him, so you kept your gaze straight forward "The bonfire of course", you tried to sound certain, but it was more like a whisper than a real claim.

Minho dramatically laughed and threw his head back "I think you're lying, Angel" he said and his laughter turned into a slight chuckle "but I won't blame you if you have a little crush on me" Minho winked. That was enough! He really was a little too confident in himself "Minho, please stop! I don't have a crush on you and I certainly didn't enjoy spending time with your drunk self! You smelled like a dead fish, which died twice!" You said angrily, stopped walking and turned to Minho who did the same.