Chapter 20

Thanksgiving Day announced itself through the aroma of baking poultry in the air. Even still lying in bed with an entire storey of the house separating me from the kitchen, it was tangible. Although it was actually Marianne who announced the festivity, given that there would be no meal without all of her hard work in the kitchen these past two days. Though we never cooked this much at home, the scent reminded me of a family holiday. My heart grew heavy for a minute, but I reminded myself how lucky I was to be with these kind people for Thanksgiving this year. The men had better be aware of what they had in Marianne.

After swiftly getting up and changing, I hurried downstairs to support her. All of Thanksgiving morning ended up going into more cooking, decorating, and preparing all sorts of other things. Being Marianne, she thanked me exuberantly and blew my contribution out of proportion when my help had really been miniscule. Breakfast was more or less skipped, but John and I managed to sneak away for ten minutes to eat some toast.

At noon, John's brother and his fiancée arrived. I was in the dining room setting the table when the doorbell rang. Happy voices greeted each other before John reentered the room tailed by two people in their late twenties: the younger version of his dad I had seen in the photos, wearing a gray sweater with the collar of a white button-down shirt peeking out from underneath the crew neck, and a gorgeous blonde in a waist-hugging maroon dress, pantyhose, and a white cardigan. I was glad I had carved out the time to take a shower and get changed earlier. In my black cotton tights, black skirt, and soft, cream-colored sweater I at least didn't feel entirely inadequate next to all these beautiful people.

For a second, there was another stab in my chest thinking of the family Thanksgiving at the Bellamys' we could be having right now, casual, low-profile, little hassle, all for the price of a mediocre holiday dinner instead of this undoubtedly delicious feast. I quickly presented a big smile and stepped around the table.

John introduced me: "Andrew, Laura, this is my friend Grace. Grace, my brother Andrew and his girlfriend Laura."

"Fiancée," Andrew corrected and grinned.

Laura rolled her eyes playfully and muttered under her breath: "It makes no difference in this situation." Then she stretched out her hand and sent me a dazzling smile. "Hi, I'm Laura, it's so nice to meet you, Grace."

Andrew jumped right in and shook my hand firmly. "Good to meet you."

"You, too," I replied politely. I wanted to say, 'I've heard so much about you', but I hadn't. Just like I had heard little about his parents beyond their occupations. The realization was surprising to me because he talked a lot, but John was a very private person.

Just then, Marianne rushed into the room, still putting on one earring, and shouted a warm welcome to her son and future daughter-in-law before she engulfed each of them in a tight hug.

"Thanks so much for having us over, Marianne! You didn't go to too much trouble preparing dinner, did you?"

Marianne denied and waved her hand dismissively, but John and I secretly exchanged a knowing smile behind her back. When I looked back at Laura, my eyes met hers and she mirrored our expression. Of course Marianne had gone to too much trouble. I was willing to bet she was known to do that, and not just before holidays.

Minutes later, Mr. Jay unlocked the front door, greeted everyone and kissed his wife, then took off his dress shoes. Going to the office on Thanksgiving Day was strange to me, what could be so important that it couldn't wait until Monday or at least Friday? But I didn't know the first thing about lawyering, he probably had his reasons.

"How long until the game starts?" he asked.

"About 20 minutes," Andrew informed him.

Mr. Jay motioned toward the TV room and his sons accompanied him. They offered Laura and me to come along, but I was glad Laura declined first so I would feel okay staying, too.