Chapter 9

In unspoken agreement, we didn't acknowledge The Movie Night again and didn't launch a repeat. One Friday afternoon, we were hanging out in the common area of John's suite, drinking tea, listening to a soothing video game soundtrack and trying to focus on our homework while instead constantly distracting ourselves and each other with funny video clips when suddenly the keypad to the front door was punched. A second later, it swung open.

"Hey!" John jumped up from the couch.

On the loveseat, I uncrossed my legs and put my laptop to the side. He ran his hands along his girlfriend's arms, gave her a peck on the lips, and I averted my eyes, embarrassed. I didn't know how to deal with people kissing, particularly in a tiny space. Was it weirder to look or to look away? She kissed him back and took a quick glance at me. It was so quick I almost wasn't sure if she had done it at all.

"Were we meeting somewhere?" he asked.

She smiled and calmly shook her head. By now I was sitting awkwardly on the edge of the loveseat.

"Grace and I were only doing homework. Do you want to join?" he asked.

'Only doing homework.' Couldn't he have left out the 'only'?

She subtly looked as though she would rather have a root canal treatment, so I saved her the embarrassment and quickly threw my things in my bag, saying: "Actually, I need something from the library, but I'll see you in class next week, John!"

I gave both of them a tight-lipped smile and pushed past them and out into the hallway. The door slowly fell shut behind me. A chuckle behind me made me turn.

"What the heck, Devin? What are you doing out here?" I asked John's suitemate who leaned against the wall beside the door with an unparalleled level of nonchalance.

"I saw her entering before me and wanted to stay out of it if there were any trouble. Did you get John in trouble again?"

"I wouldn't think so," I replied deadpan. "Anyway, why 'get him in trouble again'?"

Devin shrugged dismissively. He had slipped up.

After a few seconds there was still no answer from him, so I defended myself: "We literally sat next to each other and did homework. Why would she take offense to that?"

"You can stop acting naïve. It's just me."

Through my lashes, I glared at him. But he was right. Of course I knew why she might assume the wrong thing. But she wouldn't have been wrong enough.

"Is she actually mad right now?" My eyebrows drew together and I exhaled, watching my foot tap on the floor. But there was a layer of something else underneath. A dense, dark ball in the pit of my stomach. Guilt.

"You could ask her instead of me?"

I raised my eyebrows. Right.

"I doubt she's mad. She's chill."

"Do they get along well?"

"Um, hello? They're dating."

A small burst of air escaped my nose. "You know what I mean."

"Gracie, you're not nearly as suave as you think, but I'll answer this one because I think you need to hear it: they're in love, okay?"

I narrowed my eyes, but the way my chest constricted betrayed me. "Why would I need to hear that?"

"We don't have to talk about it, but don't insult my intelligence. I'm not blind." My mouth stood open at his remark. "If you stick around you can ask her if she's mad." Shooting a glance at the suite door, he curled a finger and gently lifted my jaw shut.