Chapter 4: Do You Guys Even Eat?

"So... are you gonna tell me who you were daydreaming about this morning?" Julie says once we're alone, crossing her arms, "Even though I'm pretty sure I know who it was."

"What? You do not!" I say being defensive.

"Girl," she sighs, "do you remember in the 7th grade when you had a crush on Nathan?"

I giggle, "Oh yeah I completely forgot about him."

"Um I didn't," she also giggles, "you stopped talking to Carrie and I for like a week because he gave you a little bit of attention and you couldn't get him out of your mind."

I look down at the ground remembering. After I start thinking about Luke and his hazel eyes, and his perfect smile. I completely zone out Julie.

"See!" Julie almost yells, "You're doing it again!"

"Okay fine!" I say holding my hands up in defense. "It's Luke, Julie-"

We here a poof noise. "Ohhhh, are we talking about boys?" Alex sits in Julie's beanbag chair with a grin.

"One of your band mates, actually," Julie says looking at me with a haha gotchu smile.

Alex looks at me with the same smile, "Luke right?"

I look at him in shock. "Is it that obvious?"

"Well not to Luke. And I am going to assume that you guys have already figured out that Reg isn't the sharpest tool in the shed," Alex says with a chuckle.

"It's only obvious to me because I've known you for so long," Julie says shrugging.

"Okay," I say standing up from where I was sitting on the bed, "I'm going to get a snack. Do you want anything Jules?"

"No, I'm okay," she says moving over next to Alex on the beanbag. I look at Alex with the how about you look and he just starts laughing. As I'm walking out I can hear Alex whisper something to Julie and she playfully gasps. I roll my eyes.

I walk into the bathroom first to change into my pajamas.

As I walk down the stairs I feel a chill. I wrap my hands around my arms. I make my way around the banister and see the fridge open, with Luke standing there staring at the Molina's food. I roll my eyes, because now I know why Alex and Jules acted the way they did. I walk over to Luke.

I stand behind him, "Do you guys even eat?" I ask him as he's smelling the inside of the fridge.

"Nah, I just want to see what they got," he smells the fridge one more time before I close the door, it going right through him.

"Hey!" he says turning to look at me with his arm out still towards the fridge. "Do you know how long it took me to open that?"

I walk over to where the bread is and get 2 slices out. "Sorry I don't believe in wasting power. Especially the power that isn't mine." I walk over to the island in the middle of the kitchen and start making my peanut butter and jelly sandwich (sorry if you're allergic to peanut butter).

"Good," he says like he knows what he's talking about, "that is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about," he smirks.

"The Molina's power usage?" I ask, confused.

"What?" He asks also confused, "No. The power that you and Julie have!" I look at him with a really face. "Her voice and your songwriting! How are you not a duo? AND how did they not let her back into the music program if they heard her sing like that?"

"She asked and Mrs. Harrison said- wait. How did you know that I write songs?" I look at him. I knew that he was trying to snoop in Julie's dream box and then I realized that I left my songbook here while we were at school.

"You left your song book open on the coffee table in the studio," he says softly with a slight smile. He sits on the counter, "and that was your first mistake asking your teacher. Sunset Curve booked gigs by doing! We went into ambush mode. Yo, we played in front of clubs, we played in back of clubs, heck! We even played book clubs!"

I look at him mimicking the way he said "Book clubs? That kind of sounds fun," and I shivered.

He noticed and took off his brown flannel. He draped it around my shoulders. So I can wear the ghost's clothes, but I can't actually touch the ghost. I smile with a thank you smile.

"Yeah we didn't really get a lot of gigs out of that one, but they had gnarly snacks." Our gazes meet, "I'm just saying, don't ask for permission. Use that amazing talent of yours and Julie's and get one of your best friends back into the music program!"

"This is not a club, it's a school!" I say walking over to the cabinet getting a glass for water. I roll my eyes and sigh. I walk over to the fridge and and get their filtered water container out. I close the fridge. "They aren't just going to let her back in..." I trail off because I walk through Luke. I turn back to look at him.

"If you want to be back into music together you both need to go for it!" I start putting my sandwich in my mouth about to bite it when he says, "learn from me, your tainted hotdog can be right around the corner!"

I slowly remove the sandwich from my mouth. I've lost my appetite. I sigh, "but we don't have anything prepared."

"I figured you might say that," he pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket, "it's called Bright, it's a Sunset Curve song that we never got to record. It's perfect for her range, and maybe yours."

He unfolds the paper and puts it next to wear my discarded sandwich is. He starts singing.

"Your eyes, through the night
You and I,
we will fight to shine together
Bright forever"

I start to join him.

"And rise, through the night
You and I,
We will fight to shine together,"

"And go up high," he points his finger up.

We harmonize, "Bright forever"

"Yes!" he chuckles, "Hey, why don't you sing more often? You have a killer voice just like Julie's, but in a different key." He looks down at me and smiles.

"Um, I guess I just like the writing part of music?" I shrug.

Luke is excited he tries to grab both of my hands, but they pass right through me, "Promise me that you'll sing this song with her?"

"Okay Luke, thanks," he looks down at me smiles, and then bites his lip. He nods. I turn around and head upstairs to find Julie and Alex sitting on her bed, both smiling.

"What?" I look at them, completely forgetting about the conversation we had earlier with all of the whispering.

"Oh nothing. You just got a little something," Julie points to the corner of her mouth. Alex laughs so hard that he falls back onto the bed.

Alex notices Luke's flannel, "Is that-"

"Love you Alex, but Jules and I need to work on this song," I pull out Bright from my pocket and Alex poofs out. "Jules, we are getting you back into that music program. And I am singing with you!"

She gasps, "Really?"

I nod and she runs over to me to pull me into a hug.

"Let's start working!" I smile as I pull away.