How To Be A Heartbreaker

The minute we got back to our dorm room after class, Marlene sat me down on her bed next to a piles of clothes and makeup. Lily was standing behind Marlene, but they were both staring at me smirking. 

"Alright, I'll bite. What are you two staring at me like that for?" I asked her, honestly scared for the answer. 

"Glow up time!" Lily said with a smile.

"Glow up?"

"Yeah," Marlene said. "We told you we were gonna help you reach your full potential sometime. That time is now."

"Alright fine, what do I have to do? Is it just a makeover?" I asked her.

"The makeover is part of it, yes. But we're also going to teach you how to be a heartbreaker." Marlene told me with a wink. 

"Marlene and I have both broken a few hearts, but it doesn't seem like you haven't really done anything with anyone, have you?" Lily said, going through the clothes beside me. 

Oh no. They're right, though. I've never been in a good, real relationship before, and I definitely haven't broken anyone's heart. I don't think I want to, either. But Lily and Marlene have been telling me since I moved here that they'll eventually give me a makeover and help me reach my full potential. 

"First things first, some basic rules." Lily said firmly. She picked out a few dresses in all different colours and crouched down to my height sitting down. "Can I move your hair around and stuff?"

"Um sure." I told her. She then started moving my hair around and holding clothes up to me to test which colours would suit me. 

"Okay, ground rules." Marlene told me in the exact same tone a teacher would use. "Rule number one is that you've got to have fun."

I rolled my eyes at the statement. How am I supposed to have fun when I'm trying something insanely scary like this? How am I supposed to have fun as a "heartbreaker"?

She clearly saw me annoyed at the rule and explained the rule further. "That means you have to participate, and at least try to be the absolute bombshell you are."

"Fine." I promised. "But I'm not doing anything too crazy."

~~~~~~~~~~

"He's sitting alone, go now!" Marlene urged, pushing me towards Amos sitting next to an empty seat in Muggle Studies.

"Okay okay, alright I'm going." 

I walked over to his table, adjusting my sweater to show more skin the way Marlene taught me the day before. I looked over to her before talking to him, and she gave me a thumbs up and a reassuring smile. 

"Is this seat taken?" I asked him.

"Um, no. No, yeah you can sit." He stuttered. Marlene said stuttering is a good sign that they're flustered about you. 

I muttered a small "thanks" as I sat down. He looked nervous to be sitting next to me. First he was stuttering, then he dropped his quill off the table and he almost fell off his chair as he tried to lean over to grab it. I felt bad, I've never made anyone this nervous before.

I waited a while before making a move. Lily told me if he doesn't make a move within 20 minutes, he's either too nervous, or he's not interested. And there's only one way to find out which one it is. I decided to wait until the professor was passing around some muggle books to say something, so I wouldn't get in trouble for talking.

He handed me a copy of Pride & Prejudice to look at when he finished observing it, and I decided that was the time to say something else. 

"So, Amos, did you hear about the Gryffindor party tonight?" I asked him in the sweet tone that Lily said a Hufflepuff like Amos would enjoy.