CHAPTER FOURTEEN

(TW: VOMITING)

a crow

~

The young woman tugged at the sheet tied to her bedpost. There was no way she was going to be able to break open the thick oak door that kept her locked away in her room.

The only option was the window. 

She frowned at the sheet-rope she had crafted, it wasn't perfect but it would have to do. She opened her window and threw the rope out. She gave it one more tug before she walked over to the window. 

Y/N had once again changed her outfit, flexible pants, a warm shirt, and a large black cloak.

She grabbed the sheet rope and started her descent out the window. The sound of the bed scraping against the wooden floor caused her to gasp. 

Y/N squeezed her eyes shut when she was suddenly dropped down. She slowly opened her eyes to see that she was a few feet from the ground. 

She got down from the rope and started stumbling away from the cabin, "Never again."

Coughs abruptly racked the woman's body, when it finally subsided she spat at the ground and was surprised at what she saw. 

Instead of bright red, she was looking at specks of blue. 

"Strange," she wiped her mouth and stood up. 

Her body felt like it was shutting down. She didn't have time to sleep but she needed a way to replenish her strength. 

She needed to save Ethan, he would surely die if he tried to go against Heisenberg and Miranda wouldn't think twice before killing him. She wanted to find Heisenberg to prevent that and stop her mother.

Y/N and Ethan's relationship had been anything but normal but she yearned to know more about him and the outside world. She had come to enjoy his company even though they had barely spent time together. She wished that she had been firmer in helping him.

Her eyes widened, "I really care for him." 

She needed to get her strength back and find a way to him.

The sound of clucking filled her ears, "That'll have to do."

🦋

Ethan huffed as he watched the ferrokinetic explode into a firework of scrap metal. 

What Chris told him was running rampant through his mind. 

He learned a lot about everything including Y/N, apparently, she had a sickness that was slowly killing her. Miranda had another daughter who died years ago. 

Miranda had been looking for a cure for nearly a century and Chris wasn't sure which daughter she was trying to save. 

Mia was still alive and she was out there somewhere. He couldn't believe that he lived with Miranda for so long and he didn't even notice. 

What type of husband did that make him?

His thoughts quickly ran to Y/N. He still wanted to go after her despite the revelations. 

The sound of a phone ringing took him out of his thoughts. He took the phone out of his pocket and looked at the caller ID, Alpha was calling him. 

Must be Chris, he thought to himself. 

He answered the phone and listened to Chris's concerns before he replied, "I dealt with Heisenberg," he looked at the wreckage, "Now I'm going to deal with Miranda and get Rose back."  

Ethan silently listened to Chris however, his attention was pulled away when he heard a baby crying, "Rose?"

He started walking to the source of the noise with his raised gun. He jumped back when he saw a crow fly, his eyes followed it and he stared in shock at the figure revealed to him, "Mia?!"

Rain started pouring and the sound of thunder rang out in the clearing.

Mia walked closer to him, "Our daughter, she's important isn't she?"

"She's everything to me!" He declared as he stared down Mia.

"And mine to me," wings came out of nowhere covering Mia and obstructing her from Ethan's view. The wings moved to reveal Miranda. "With Heisenberg gone. You're all by yourself. What are you going to do?"

"I don't know but I'm saving Rose," he placed his finger on the trigger.

"You never know, do you?" She walked closer to him, "Even when I took Mia's place in your home. Poor Ethan," she said with a mocking frown.

He gritted his teeth and started firing at the creature.

Roots grew out of the ground and Miranda's feathers blocked his bullets, "Where's Rose?!"

Miranda slowly drew her wings back and slowly walked over to one of the crooked trees, "Remember Eveline and her power over the mold," she glanced at Ethan, "Rose is her successor."

His eyes widened, "That can't be."

She smiled, "Oh but it is, Ethan," she walked behind one of the trees, "She will grow to fully control the masses."

Miranda disappeared behind the tree and he frantically started looking for her.

"And I must have her."

🦋

The young woman ran through the tundra that was the village. A feeling of dread gnawed at her.

Her mother had been out of her sight for nearly an hour and the way she had hastily locked her in her room only caused more reason for concern.

Bent trees slowly swayed around two figures. Y/N's eyes widened when her mother's distinctive wings came into view. She pushed her legs to go faster.

She needed to stop her, "Mother!" She yelled.

Her shouting did nothing to stop what happened next, she watched out as the man she cared about had his heart ripped from his chest.

She caught him before he could hit the ground, "No, no, no," she whispered as she slowly placed her hand on his face. His eyes slowly ran across her face. "Stay with me, Ethan. I'm going to find a way to fix this, okay?"

He coughed and specks of red painted his face, "Rose..." He croaked out.

Y/N shushed him and stroked his cheek, "Don't say anything..." Tears started to cloud her vision and she blinked them away resulting in them falling onto Ethan's face, "I'm going to fix this," she murmured.

She watched as Ethan's eyes slowed started to go out of focus before the whites of his eyes started showing.

"Ethan," she gently patted his cheek, "Ethan!" Tears flowed down her face in a river.

Her mother placed a hand on her shoulder, "He's dead, little crow."

Y/N pushed her mother's hand off before standing up and glaring at her, "What is wrong with you?"

The shapeshifter stared back at her wordlessly.

"Don't you have anything to say?!" She hiccuped and hastily wiped her tears. "Who are you? You can't be my mother."

Before she could continue with her verbal attack a nauseous feeling consumed.

She hunched over as acid bile burned her throat and tumbled out of her mouth. The taste of pennies and filth filled her mouth as she choked on the thick slivers of vomit.

The young woman coughed out what was left in her stomach. Y/N jumped backed and stared in horror at the mess in front of her.

Blood and blue butterflies laid on the cold arid ground.

"What's wrong with me?" She mumbled to herself. She understood that she was dying but she wasn't ready to go so fast. She hadn't saved Rose, she needed to. 

That was Ethan's dying wish.

"We need to begin the ceremony."