CHAPTER THIRTEEN

a revelation

a revelation

~

Mother and daughter walked about the house, one avoiding the other. 

"Mother, I need to know this," the young woman followed her mother around their quaint cabin.

Miranda placed her book on the bookshelf, "Y/N, I told you I don't want to talk about this," she swiftly turned around and stared into her daughter's eyes, "You weren't supposed to leave the castle anyway and you decided to go on some wild goose chase."

Y/N matched her mother's stare and willed herself not to be intimidated, "Did you or did you not kidnap a baby?" Her eyes soften at her mother's blank stare behind the mask, "Please don't lie to me. I only want the truth."

Miranda sighed before taking off her mask, "Yes, little crow, I did."

The young woman's eyes widened, she knew the truth but she wasn't prepared to hear it straight from her mother's lips.  

"Why did you do it?" She quietly asked as she fiddled with her fingers. 

She needed to know why her mother was doing the unthinkable. Deep inside she knew it was because her mother longed to have Eva back.  

Miranda placed her mask back on, "That's not important," she turned away from Y/N and started writing on a piece of paper. 

"It is important," she walked into her mother's line of sight, "You stole someone's child." 

Her mother side-eyed her, "I don't want to talk about it, Y/N." 

"Is it because of Eva?"

Miranda placed her quill down and frowned at the young woman next to her, "Y/N," she warned. 

"I know it is," she frowned, "You need to accept that she isn't coming back. I already have."

"Y/N!" her mother glared at her as her wings flared, "I said I don't want to talk about it! Respect my wishes." She calmly said the last sentence.

"Mother, I--" 

🦋

Miranda watched as coughs wracked her daughter's body. Her eyes widened when she noticed the blood. 

She was running out of time, she didn't expect her daughter's illness to progress so quickly.  

She needed to keep her safe while she was out. 

Her daughter wiped her mouth and stared at her with defiant eyes, "Why?" 

"We are not talking about this right now!" Miranda hissed before grabbing her daughter by the upper arm.

She started leading her to her room, muttering to herself along the way and ignoring the argument from her daughter.

She pushed Y/N into her room, "You will stay here until I deem necessary for you to leave."