Chapter 18

I devoured my breakfast as though the food would disappear before my very eyes. The replete feeling satisfied my hunger. The anxiety and nervousness clawed away for the impending first day back at work. If I'm going to vomit from the anxiety I better make sure there is something to throw up.

Trying to remain cool and collected was not in my favour. Hunter, noticing my apprehensiveness, made graceful moves across the dining room to give my shoulders a brief relaxing rub with his masculine hands. The gesture warmed me. The impact of everything that has happened in the past fortnight would not melt away. Trying to block it out proved rather difficult. I managed before with my past but that took longer than the two week time frame that has passed.

I will get over this. My determination to fight the misery and not dwell will strengthen my being. Hunters perceptiveness of my emotions and moods surprised me. In the little time he has known me he has always managed to notice on how quick I can change from feeling to feeling.

"I'm fine, don't worry."

His skeptic look and the frown etched on his glorious face told me he clearly didn't believe me.

"Honestly, I'm a bit nervous and apprehensive but I'll get through it. It's like first day jitters is all. With Paul evading the police I'm just worried because I know he is out there somewhere." I look him in the eye to show him how sincere my words are.

"Promise me you will phone me or come to my office at any time you feel the need to escape?" He asks.

"I promise. Pinky promise." I hold my pinky finger out to him to lighten the mood. The day doesn't have to start on a dreaded note. It's the last thing I want at the moment. Distractions is what I need.

"Your such a dork." He snorts.

"At heart I most definitely am. That doesn't get you out of the pinky promise." I wiggle the finger in his face. "Come on, you know you want too." I taunt.

With a playful sigh he takes my pinky finger in his.

"Do you pinky promise?"

"I do."

"You doofus, were not getting married you know." I laugh.

"We'll what am I meant to say?" He questions with a slight embarrassment.

"Your meant to say 'I pinky promise.' You geek."

"I pinky promise. You dork. You really are a dork making me pinky promise. Eugh I felt like such a kid."

"Get over it. And you really are a geek."

"Enough with the insults fool. Let's get this show on the road." I muster as much enthusiasm as I possibly can.

"Okay then." We walk hand in hand out to Hunters car.

Like the gentleman he is, he opens the passenger door for me, with a slight bow and a wave of his arm he gestures for me to enter. "My lady." Playing along, I sit my ass down on the seat before gracefully swinging my two legs in.

"Why thank you Gaston."

Amused, he lips quirk a little at the corners.

"Gaston, really? Could you not have give me a name more fitting?"

"Ah ah ah." I say with a wag of the finger. "I totally dig hot French guys with their cute little accent and the name Gaston screams sex appeal. Don't you think?" The look passing his features shows his surprise at myself talking freely and openly again. The nerves have eased and we've only pulled out of the driveway. The talented gift of Hunter.

"If I was to 'dig' guys, then maybe. And since you and I both know that I'm not that way inclined, we can both say nada to that!"

I suck in an audible quick breath. By the sudden stiffness of his body I know he didn't mean to say that. Not that it bothers me talking about our 'previous encounter' but that every time I think of it, I'm reminded of that horrible day. Not that I can control it, it seems like an automatic reaction, like a reflex of sorts. What shocked me more, was how quick I had actually forgotten about it for those brief few minutes.