Chapter 6

Diana

We were walking for hours with no idea where we're headed and whether we're near any road or not. I was beginning to get thirsty but I managed to endure it and carry on walking with the others. I forgot that I had two energy bars in my mini pack back and my water bottle that's half filled with water that I'm sure it had turned warm by now. I was saving it for later in case one of us really needed it. My legs are starting to ache again giving me the urge to rest for a while but I didn't want to hold everyone back because we're almost running out of daylight. We've been walking since early in the morning but when i checked the time in my phone a while ago, it was already past noon.

This is starting to feel crazy

We've been walking for so long, yet it seems like we're just going in deeper and deeper in this goddamn forest.

Then, I heard this sound. It was faint and distant but I heard it clearly, I stopped walking and slowly turned around to look around and see where it was coming from. Everything looks absolutely still around me, which is really weird. Then, when the sound came again it was so loud that I'm sure everyone else had heard it by now. It sounds like trees are breaking apart, letting something big to come through. My jaw dropped open in shock when I saw what was happening right in front of my eyes. A big blurry smoke enveloped the whole forest and trees started to fall down while big roots buried deep within the ground, snapped out making the ground to crack open.

"Run!" We didn't waste any time running away from the disaster happening right behind us.

The wind was blowing really hard at us almost forcing us to fly right back into it but we kept running forward. It was almost catching up to us, I can literally hear and see the ground beneath me cracking up as if it was trying to swallow us in. My body was thrumming with adrenaline and sweat was literally dripping down to my eyes almost making it harder for me to see. My foot got caught in one of the vines on the ground and I stumbled forward.

I landed face first on the ground, soil and leaves instantly flew to my face. I turned my head around to glance back but I didn't get a chance to get a glimpse. Someone had grabbed my arm and pulled me up from the ground.

"Don't look back!" Parker shouted to me and we started to run again.

Everyone was ahead of us and we ran after them to keep up.

"In here!" Corey suddenly yelled from a distance and we all saw him crouching near a small cave made out of thick branches and leaves and surrounded by tall tree trunks.

We all ran towards him and he ushered us in immediately. When we're finally all inside, Corey and parker pulled down all the branches sticking out to try and close the opening. The wind blew over us, trees started to fall right in front of the place where we're hiding, Kimberly and mia started to scream but I kept my eyes closed and kept repeating to myself that it would go away.

It took forever for everything to calm down again. When we're all sure that everything is back to normal again, parker pushed open the branches and slowly went outside. He looked back at all of us and gave us a thumbs up.

"It's all good guys, you can come out now." Kimberly went out next and we slowly followed.

What really surprises me after we're all standing outside and looking around, was that everything looks absolutely the same. Nothing was destroyed at all, it was like there wasn't a huge tornado chasing us a while ago. No trees were down, no broken branches or anything. It all looked normal.

"Okay, this is really getting freaky right now. What just happened?" Kimberly was the first to speak up.

"Shush, do you guys hear that?" Corey suddenly says and we all went quiet to listen.