Chapter 4

So just as to clear up any confusion, it is 2013, but in this story, it's still 2012. Or rather, 2112. Wow this is confusing. But, as it said in the first chapter, it's February.

____________________________

The door opened.

And my heart skipped a beat.

The most wonderful-looking boy entered the room. He had tousled brown hair, forest green eyes, and a physique the jocks at my old school would be pining for. He smiled at me, showing his amazing teeth.

My heartbeat picked up. I'm gonna dance with him, I thought frantically.

"Isabelle, this is Randy Dunn," she gestured to Randy, who waved at me. "And Carter Azlord, your dancing partner." Carter, still smiling, shot a wink at me, making me die a little inside.

"Let's get started," Marie-Hale said. My heart is going to beat out of my chest in three...two...one. He took my hand and pulled me close to him and we were immediately positioned to waltz. I've never waltzed before. I watched a lot of waltz performances, but I've never done it.

"I'm sorry in advance if in case I step on your foot," I said to Carter sheepishly.

He chuckled. "Just relax. I've heard you dance...I think...ballet?" Oh my goodness. Dude had a classic English accent. Attraction level: Code Red. I managed a nod.

"Well, then you'd probably do well." I smiled at that. Marie-Hale spoke. "So waltzing is mainly turning while going all around the room. Let me demonstrate."

She turned on the music, and she and Randy danced in a series of simple yet elegant spins and steps. While she danced, Marie-Hale shouted what she was doing.

"Step, step, turn!" "Step, step, turn!" "Step, step, turn, spin, down!"

It was just as graceful as all the other waltzes I've seen, even more ethereal.

The music stopped, and Randy and Marie-Hale walked back to Carter and I. "Think you got the idea?" Randy asked.

"Yeah, I think so," I nodded. "Can I do a test first? Like, waltz without lesson? I'll see if I get the gist."

Marie-Hale shrugged. "Sure. Why not?"

She turned on the music and Carter and I waltzed to the beat. I remembered what Marie-Hale shouted earlier. Step, step, turn. Step, step, turn. Step, step, turn, spin, down.

When the music stopped, I was panting slightly. I gazed the their reactions. Randy had an impressed and shocked look on his face, complete with his mouth open. Marie-Hale looked at me with pride, and Carter was grinning at me.

"How's that?"

"Beautiful." Randy said. I thanked him for the compliment.

"That was beautiful," Carter whispered.

And Marie-Hale said. "Impressive. Graceful."

I was about to tell her thank you, but then she continued. "For a rookie."

My mouth and Randy's and Carter's dropped. "What are you talking about? So what if she's a rookie? She just danced a nearly-perfect waltz without choreography!" Randy gestured to me.

"That was flawless!" Carter added.

That was when I noticed Randy and Carter weren't afraid of the queen as much as the other servants are. I wonder why?

Marie-Hale held up a hand. "It was amazing, yes, but it was not perfect. It is beautiful for a girl who never waltzed before, but she hadn't a lesson yet, therefore, it was not 'flawless'."