Chapter 3

First of all, thank you for 60 reads on the whole story. :)

Advanced Happy New Year!!! :)

Enjoy!

____________________________

I woke up the next day to sunshine. Well, as much as sunshine goes in a land of ice.

I dressed in a crimson red dress that came just to my knees and had three-fourth sleeves. I would've worn jeans, except that I had princess etiquette lessons today. Then I put on black peep-toe pumps and put my hair in a half-updo.

I went downstairs to the dining room and saw breakfast ready.

Marie-Hale was sitting on the head of the table, not touching her plate yet. She was waiting for me. When she saw me, she gestured to the chair beside her. I sat down.

"Good morning," I said politely.

"Mm," was Marie-Hale's flat response, nodding her head briefly.

The servants served bread, butter, cheese, bacon, hotdogs, eggs, some vegetables, juice, and milk. I am so going to get fat eating here.

"Now, first rule of being a princess," Marie-Hale started immediately. "You are aware of your table manners, right?"

"Of course." I replied.

"Good. As a princess, you must follow them a hundred times more strictly."

I nodded. Throughout breakfast, I was the epitome of princess etiquette in the dining room.

As the servants carried away our plates, Marie-Hale and I walked towards the living room.

On the way, I asked her, being very cautious, "Um, Queen Marie-Hale, where's your..." I hesitated.

"Husband?" Marie-Hale raised an eyebrow. "The king? Don't be shy, Isabelle. Another rule of being a princess is that you should not be shy. A princess is confident. She knows that she is a princess. As for the king, you will meet him soon. He is just away on...business in another kingdom."

She said "business" hesitantly. Hmm. She continued as she sat down on one of the chairs in the living room.

"Here in Callia, we have a different way of ruling, unlike those you read in fairytales. Here, as proclaimed by Queen Cassandra..."

When she said "Queen Cassandra", the servants who hovered around us bowed their heads, as if for respect.

"...women rule. Well, in fairytales, the one who rules with more power is the king, am I right?" She asked. I nodded.

"Well, here, the queen is in supreme. Not the king. So you see, women in Callia are more powerful than their husbands. However, respect must be given to all," She finished.

"Got it," I said.

"Any more questions?"

"Yes," I said. "What is Callia's national language?"

Marie-Hale thought for a moment. "Well, most Callians commonly speak English, that is our national language," she added. "But Latin is also commonly spoken."

"So I have to learn Latin?" I asked.

"Not necessarily. Only if you desire to."

"Got it."

"Now, I must teach you how to act in front of the townspeople. You should not act too arrogant, nor too shy. So sit down here," Marie-Hale patted another chair beside her.