Chapter 9

Exactly one week until the mysterious "he" arrives. I'm still betting on he being a prince. I don't want him. I already have my prince. Carter Azlord.

Formulating a plan in my head, I settled on a fuchsia long-sleeved button-down blouse, thick neon yellow leggings, denim shorts, and pastel pink hi-tops. Now if this wasn't going to piss Marie-Hale off, I don't know what would. I left my hair natural and put on a braided silver headband.

What's on the agenda today? I was going to start my investigation on the vial with the king tomorrow. But what about today? Maybe I could explore the castle and the village...

I reached the dining room and as soon as Queen Marie-Hale saw me, she spit her blackberry juice - disgusting, mind you - all over the table.

"What-what are you wearing?!" She screeched. "Those are horrendous colors!"

I shrugged. "It's okay. I'm not doing anything today. It's not like the Queen of England is coming. Oh wait, we already have a high queen in the room. Sorry about that."

I sent the king a discreet wink as I sat down on a chair, Marie-Hale's eyes cold and judgmental. King Dartley smirked ever so slightly. The queen said no more about the subject.

"Alexandra, more blackberry juice," she demanded.

Alex came walking in with a pitcher of the beverage and gently poured it into the queen's glass. "Faster, you clumsy peasant!"

I clenched my knife and fork tightly but said nothing and resumed devouring my eggs and bacon. In her haste to fulfill the queen's wishes, Alex spilled blackberry juice onto the table. All of us had to stand up to avoid getting drenched.

King Dartley and I watched, helpless, as the queen shouted mercilessly at Alex. Other servants gazed at the scene. Marie-Hale called her horrible things like, "a poor excuse of a woman", "infuriating *****" - a word I refuse to include - and "lousy, idiotic piece of ****" Another word I refuse to include.

Alex stumbled away, quiet tears streaming down her face. When the queen finished her rant, she then started another one as Alex fumbled for the pitcher and knocked down a plate of eggs.

When the queen raised her arm to slap Alex, I couldn't take it anymore. "Enough!" I was surprised at the volume of my voice. Everybody looked at me. Marie-Hale's hand was raised mid-slap.

I rushed in front of Alex. The queen sneered. "Why are you protecting that worthless sack?!"

I ignored her question, my eyes blazing with fury. "You have no right to ridicule another human being like that. Why are you even queen?! A queen earns her title rightfully because she cares for her kingdom and its inhabitants. I refuse to let you do what you are doing to Alexandra. You've taught me wonderful things about being royalty. Why are you not fulfilling what you preach? Stop this torture to your subjects. They don't deserve this. They don't deserve you."

King Dartley gazed at me with sparkling eyes and admiration on his face.

Marie-Hale was breathing raggedly. "I don't care what you say, child. Move away. That girl needs some discipline." She raised her arm to hit Alex, and I caught her wrist in midair.

"Maybe you need some discipline yourself."

She wrenched her wrist away from my grasp, and I took Alex's shaking hand and led her to my room, locking the door and letting her cry onto my shoulder.

"H-how c-could sh-she do th-that?" Alex stammered. "A-and later, the v-villagers, i-if they even h-hear about th-this, th-they w-wouldn't c-care. They're t-too sc-scared of that w-witch."