23

Geun Won wakes up feeling all sore. The last thing he remembers was Soo Ah's face, crying while holding his hands. She seemed to speak something, but he can't remember.

Looking at the ceiling, he blinked his eyes few times. Fatigue still laced his body like a big blanket. He can't even feel his own body, everything felt so stiff. It's cold as well, except his left hand felt a bit warm. That must be the warm medicine he often got after his seizure episodes.

Right...Soo Ah was thanking him for still being alive. He can't believe it. So many people just wish him vanished from this world at soonest possible, but she thanked him for still being alive? What changed her mind?

Enough with unanswered question marks, he tried to move his hands.

"Geun Won-ah... you're awake?" Soo Ah wakes up from her slumber when she felt Geun Won't hand moves. She quickly pushed the button for help. She had been told to immediately alert them if Geun Won wakes up. She holds his hands tighter. She could see Geun Won's confused looks upon seeing her. But soon, it's replaced with a slight shock, or disbelieved? Soo Ah knew she only had few minutes before the medical team arrived to check on him.

Soo Ah? He can't believe it! Did she wait for him all night? Eh, wait. He's not sure how many nights did he pass out. Maybe a night. Or maybe more. Even Soo Ah's shirt is not the same color he remembered her wearing.

The doctor and a nurse came in. They checked his pupil dilation, writing something on their report, adjusting few things on the machines attached to Geun Won.

"He is stable now. But still, it's very easy for him to fall in a dangerous situation with any...er...variables." Dr. Lee Kang chose his words carefully. It's impossible for him to not want to know what had happened and who was the sudden visitor, that caused Geun Won's health to drop so suddenly.

He can't help but be reminded of his late friend and the situation he had with him and his wife, Cha Young back then. Though the situation might be different, he knows this woman is very significant to Geun Won. He left after making sure everything is done.

At least he and Cha Young battled against their own ghosts but God know how they both longed for each other. According to Nurse Kang, the case for Geun Won might be a one-sided love on Geun Won's end. Then what is this woman doing now? Sympathy? Gosh, he is appalled on that. How could one be that cold-hearted?

Now, the room is silent except for the beeping from the machines. Both of them look at each other, unable to utter a single word despite thousands are urging to be spilled right then and there.

"I...Geun Won-ah...I...I will take care of you. I will be your guardian. That..that is if, you agree to it. I understand if you don't want it. But, please accept it." She stuttered. The decision was made on the first night she stayed by his side at this hospice. She realized how lonely Geun Won is without any guardian visiting or taking care of him like the rest of the patients here. There are also a lot that she wants to tell him, and asks him. Hence, she decided she would stay by his side.

"Why?" Was all he could've asked her. It sounded hoarse, even that has drained him. He can't believe his ears. Didn't she hate him?

Soo Ah lips move but no sound came out. How could she found a simple words to describe her feelings right now?

"You...hate me." That was not a question. It's a statement.

She looked at his face, and found his eyes. That. That longing looks he always give her. And this one carries sadness with it. He said it with finality, already resigned to the fact. Her heart ached looking at the saddened face.

Her eyes sting with tears.

"No longer. No longer, Geun Won-ah. Let's start over." She also said with finality.

Geun Won feels so conflicted. He doesn't want Soo Ah to be burdened by him. At the same time, of course he wants her by his bedside. But, to be honest, he still felt very hurt by what Soo Ah said to him days ago. What is this now? Sympathy? Or what?

"But, you hate me...so much." Geun Won felt his throat parched dry. He still couldn't grasp this. At the same time, he tried to tell Soo Ah how hurt is he.

"If you take my side...people...will hate you too." He coughed after the long sentence. Soo Ah panicked a bit but it subsides very fast. His throat must be feeling very uncomfortable right now.

She got the message across. Geun Won is still very hurt by her words.

At loss of what she should answer, she decided to let his words hanging. Soo Ah walks to the window and opens the curtain for a morning sunshine to bask the room. She walks over to Geun Won silently and adjusts his bed so that he can enjoy the morning view.

Geun Won is still waiting for her answer. Her hair bobbed left and right when she moves around. While her round eyes fixed on the bed and looking everywhere except him. He could see how nervous she is. Nervous, yes...but not a hint of hatred or annoyance or loathing she never tried to hide before. None of those negative feelings anymore.

Why? Why couldn't she be like this to him before? Why she didn't look at him like he's a human too? Was he too monsterous? Was he too evil since the beginning? Why she never gave him a chance? Why she refused to listen to whatever he was trying to say? Why... didn't she at least stay to listen when he pleaded her to?

"I ppp..plea...ded you." He cried while saying this. He wants to know, what has changed this same cold woman who left him even when he pleaded her desperately to just hear him out. He is enough of hoping. He can't let himself feel hopeful anymore just to be dismissed that cruelly.

Soo Ah hugged him tightly and cried her heart out. She felt him went stiff at first. She tightened her hug to try to let him knows her sincerity this time.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry, Geun Won-ah. I was so mean to you. I'm really sorry, Jang Geun Won. So sorry." Soo Ah sobbed on his shoulders. If only she could let him know how sorry she is.

Both of them cried in each other's embrace. Each tears speak their sorrow and how sorry they are to each other.

The morning sun that day is a witness to the long-awaited chance to both of them.