if we have each other

Remus and I did end up Apparating to the Potter's

I'm not entirely sure how he convinced me. But, I mean, it's Remus Lupin... Need I say more?

"Everything is all set?" Asked Mrs. Lupin as we stood outside their small white house.

"Yes," I smiled, an indescribable love burning within me for the smaller woman. "Thank you again for letting me stay, Mrs. Lupin."

"Don't be silly!" She waved one hand and pulled me into a hug with her other. "And I've told you-"

"Hope," I corrected. "Sorry."

"No," she said, pulling back and looking deep into my eyes with the same sparkle as her son. "You, dear, can call me Mum."

At her words, something inside of me clicked into place, something I didn't even realize was out of sorts. I had the void my entire life, and so I suppose I learned to overlook it, but now it was gone. The space from where my birth mom left was filled up, the bleeding from her betrayal ceased. Everything felt new and comfortable. 

"Well, I don't know," said Remus lightly, a huge smile spread across his face. "I'd quite like to keep my mum for myself, thanks."

"Remus John!" Exclaimed Hope with a laugh. "Don't be so selfish!"

I laughed too, my heart swallowed up with love for this family.

"How about I call you Mom," I offered. "I am American, after all, and that way Remmy J can keep his sad, only child vibe going."

"Wonderful," sighed the woman, one of her hands squeezing mine and the other one of Remus's. "I'll see you both for the summer, yes?"

"Yes," agreed Remus, pulling her in for a hug.

"Okay, be safe now! Don't sever any limbs!"

"Yeah," I breathed, looking nervously up at Remus. "Please."

"You two have no faith in me," he said with mock offense.

"Why should we?" Hope and I said simultaneously before sharing a laugh.

Remus rolled his eyes and picked up his trunk. He extended one arm with which I wrapped my free one around. I widened my eyes slightly at Hope and she grimaced in return as if to say "good luck."

"Bye, Mum," Remus said, ignoring our teasing.

"Yeah," I said with a smile. "Bye, Mom."

And maybe it was because Remus was better at Apparition than his father, or maybe I could focus better with only him beside me, or maybe it was that I had just established myself as a member of a functioning and loving family, but whatever the reason, this time the nausea and dizziness of being sucked through space was bearable. This time I felt okay.

Pop.

Remus and I landed in the middle of the Potter's living room. Or rather, we fell onto one of the couches, which was already inhabited by a sleeping Sirius.