Chapter 21

Chapter 21 – Nicholas

As I lay on the bed Liz set up for us in their house I tried not to think about what happened today.

I almost lost him.

He was right in front of me, being shot, the life slowly leaving his eyes, and I was useless.

All I could do was scream and beg and threaten, but of course no one listened. It was my punishment. Clive wanted to make me suffer for sneaking around behind his back.

I looked down at Wesley, still in my arms and sleeping, I squeezed him tighter. I was never letting him go again. I thought I lost him in that basement and it felt like I couldn’t breathe. I knew now that I wouldn’t last very long without Wesley and I didn’t want to.

Wesley sighed and moved around in his sleep making me smile. He had been sleeping for at least fifteen hours now, but he needed the rest. I hadn’t slept for a second. I was happy holding him, watching him. I wouldn’t let him out of my sight ever again.

There was a knock at the door and I instinctively held him closer as I called for whoever it was to come in.

It was Liz. She was carrying a tray of food.

“Hey, sorry, I figured he’d be awake by now, I brought you guys something to eat,” she said setting the tray down on the bedside table. I noticed the mug on the tray was full of blood and I felt my stomach growl in anticipation. “Here,” she said picking up the mug and handing it to me so I didn’t have to move and wake up Wesley.

“Thanks,” I said taking a sip.

She started walking back towards the door but I couldn’t let her leave just like that.

“You were watching right? Checking up on him? That’s how the coven knew to come?” She was always nosy but I couldn’t have been more grateful for that than I was in this moment. She knew how much I cared for Wesley and she was able to push her personal feelings aside to help both of us, there was no way I could ever repay her for saving him.

“Yeah, I had a feeling he wouldn’t be able to stay away. He was too fast though, I’m sorry for how it turned out,” she said looking a little guilty.

“Don’t be, Wesley is safe and alive, and that’s thanks to you, I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you Liz.”

“Be happy,” she paused, I was a little surprised at her answer. “That’s all I ever wanted,” she said almost inaudibly, if I wasn’t a vampire I wouldn’t have heard it.

I didn’t know what to say. She smiled and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

I was going to think of a way to try and make it up to her but then I felt a hand on my cheek and I looked down to see Wesley awake and staring at me.

“Goodmor-“ I was cut off by his lips as he kissed me passionately. I leaned in even more and brought my hands to the back of his head. We kissed passionately but I was hesitant. I was still remembering everything that happened and I didn't want to start crying again. After about a minute we pulled away, foreheads still touching.

“I’ve been waiting to do that for a long time,” Wesley said breathlessly and I smiled.

“Me too,” and I gave him one more quick kiss. “Liz brought you food, you should eat,” I said reaching for the tray shakily, but before I could pick it up he caught my hand. He took hold of both of my hands and brought them to his face. He closed his eyes for a second and my breath hitched.

“I’m fine,” he said.

I wanted to argue, he almost died! He was shot 3 times, there was so much blood. He wasn’t fine and it was my fault.