Chapter 20

Chapter 20 – Wesley

Before I even knew what was happening I was running across highways and trying not to flinch as cars and trucks slammed on their brakes trying not to hit me.

My wolf was running full steam ahead and I knew exactly where he was going. I tried to reason with him but I wasn’t in control. I should have known not shifting in so long would have riled him up. He was always the one that hurt the most when we were away from Nick for too long. He was the one that couldn’t control himself during a full moon. I should have made the witches keep the collar on, I was such an idiot.

As soon as we crossed over into vampire territory I could feel his anxiousness and I tried to reason with him again. I tried to tell him that the witches were going to help us, that we would see him soon, but he was determined.

We ran for about another thirty minutes before we stopped at a house a little farther away from the city part of the docks. There was some trees surrounding the house and a large yard that wrapped around the entire thing. My wolf started to get closer but I couldn’t help the eerie feeling that washed over me. Something was wrong.

It was way too easy to get this far, surely a vampire would have spotted us or smelled us by now. A big brown and gold wolf was not something I could hide very well, even the humans were scared and tried to run from us, so why weren’t we being chased or shot down.

I was distracted by the creepy feeling and trying to figure out what was going on until my wolf came to a stop. He looked in a window and without smelling him or seeing him I knew my Nick was in there.

We waited for what seemed like an hour but I’m sure it was only a few minutes, and then he saw us.

The sight of him excited us both, I could feel my heart beating like crazy and my wolf’s ears stood straight up as he was preparing to run towards the house.

But then Nick’s eyes grew wide and he starting waving his hands frantically telling us to get away. My wolf was hurt, he slumped in defeat as if Nick didn’t want us, but I knew why he was being so frantic. This was the stupidest thing I could have done. I should have fought harder against my wolf but the truth was deep down I wanted to see him too. Some part of me was delusional enough to think I might be able to hold him again without fearing for my life, or his, by crossing enemy territory.

I could feel my wolf giving in because of how sad he was that our mate wasn’t excited to see us, he couldn’t help it. I felt bad for him but took the opportunity to take back over and I was about to make a run for it when I heard a gunshot and then something small impaled me from the side. It was a dart of some kind.

I wanted to get away, I didn’t want to put Nick through me getting captured again, but it was too late. I crumpled to the ground in pain and fought with all my might to stay conscious as I watched a tall man come around the side of the house. His face was menacing, he looked angry and pleased at the same time. Something about him made me feel cold right down to my core.

I managed one last glance at the window to see Nick clawing desperately at the window but it looked like he couldn’t get out. Even though I was in pain and scared for my life and Nick’s, my wolf took comfort in the fact that Nick was upset for us.

The man came forward and as I suspected he wasn’t a man, he was a vampire, and a pretty powerful one by the smell of him. He leaned forward and I braced myself for what I thought would be a blow to the face but he plunged a needle into my neck and I gasped as a hot liquid started racing through my veins.

It made me shake and I felt like I was going to be sick. I couldn’t hold my wolf form as I painfully and abruptly changed back to a human. Now that I had my voice back I couldn’t help the screams that were coming from my mouth, the painful liquid he had injected me with was just burning up the longer it was inside me. It felt like my insides were on fire and I couldn’t see straight.