Chapter Eighteen - Home

Lola's Pov

Everyone around me is asleep. With each second that passes I get closer to being home. I get closer to my past, my old life. I had tried to sleep on the journey but it didn't work. Although Ethan hadn't done anything physically horrible I couldn't get his betrayal out of my mind. He was my best friend and he had kidnapped me. I had considered him one of my closest friends. I had trusted him. I had made a mistake, again.

My thoughts of Ethan were forced out of my mind while I'm reminded of the small number of people I had left behind. After three years I know I hadn't built much of social life, however, the few people I was close to I knew I was going to miss.

"Lola?" Ace says in his sleepy voice that makes a small smile fall on my face. I look towards him and he's looking at me through half-closed eyes, his head still rested on the arm of the seat.

"Yeah?" I ask softly. I didn't want the others to wake up. I knew they all would need their rest. Ace had honestly looked the worst when we had been reunited, I wouldn't tell him this but his exhaustion was obvious.

"Why are you still awake?" He asked gently.

"I couldn't sleep," I reply with a frown. Ace smiles at me and shakes his head, sitting up and gently moving to create space on his chair.

"Come here." He gently suggests. I want to protest, but the idea was so very appealing that I simply couldn't. Instead, I nod and nuzzle myself into his side, he pulls my legs over his and rests his head on top of mine which is rested on his shoulder. "I missed you." He mumbles.

"I missed you too," I whisper back, I feel him smile and my heart speeds up just a little bit.

"Don't get kidnapped again please." He requests. "I need sleep."

"I'll try not to." I chuckle and snuggle further into him. I slowly fall asleep to the sound of his breathing.

-----

"They're so cute!" I hear a voice exclaim. My eyes force themselves open and a groan escapes my lips. I'm faced with my best friends watching me closely, I attempted to sit up but the heavy arm draped around me makes that task almost impossible.

"Finally, you're awake!" Daniel exclaims. I frown at his loud voice and he sends me an apologetic smile. "We're landing soon." He informs. "James is waiting at the airport for us."

"James?" I ask, excitement clear in my voice. Daniel nods enthusiastically.

"He missed you." Lex states almost sadly.

"I missed him too..." I sigh regretfully. I didn't even get the chance to say a proper goodbye. Yes, I had the letters. It wasn't the same. He looked after me, protected me for years. He protected me and saved me when I couldn't save myself.

After a few minutes of talking Ace finally awoke and released me from his arms. I had instantly missed the feeling of his arms around me, I could never say that though. I refused to admit it around my nosey friends.

The plane landed after another hour of flight and conversion. Anticipation built inside me, growing deeper and slowly grew into anxiety. Would he be mad at how I left? Would he be mad that I never contact him? How had he been? Had he taken my advice?

With bags in hand, I slowly moved down the steps. My legs shaking just a little with my nerves, excitement and anxiety. Each step I took brought him closer to James. My closest friend. My almost brother. My true family at heart. Soon we were face to face.

"James..." I whisper. My disbelieving eyes catching his.

"Lola?" He asked softly. "Lola." He confirmed a little louder. I nod and rush into his arms, abandoning my bags. "I missed you." He says in an almost whisper.

"I missed you too," I respond instantly and honestly.

"Never do that to me again." He warned.

"Never," I confirm. Tears well in my eyes and slow tears stream down my face. We just stand in each other's embrace for what seems like hours. Finally I was home.