Chapter 13 - Possibilities

When the tea was ready, Lily brought it into the living room, still chattering away.

However, when Lily found Severus still staring at her grandparents' wedding picture, she was both confused and worried.

"Sev....?" Lily asked in a concerned voice. ".....Are you alright?"

"Yes......." Severus said slowly, then he looked up at Lily. "Your grandparents passed away? Both of them?"

"That's right." Lily nodded and then she added with a frown, "I was almost too little to understand but it was still quite sad."

"You're certain that they both passed away?" Severus questioned.

Lily narrowed her eyes at Severus.

Severus was normally so romantic and attentive....but now, on the morning after they'd first made love, he wanted to sit and ask morbid questions about her deceased relatives?

What was the matter with him?!

"Yes, I'm quite certain that my poor grandmother and grandfather are dead, Severus." Lily huffed, purposely omitting his nickname to show her irritation. "Would you like me to take you to their graves?"

Severus looked back at the picture and frowned.

"Sorry......I....I didn't mean that to come across as rude. You know I would never.......Lily, I'm asking for a reason, you have my word." Severus said quietly.

"Reason? What reason? What's the matter?" Lily asked in a much gentler tone.

Severus glanced over at Lily and the tortured look in his eyes told her what she needed to know.

"......You can't tell me, can you, Sev?" Lily asked with a bittersweet smile.

Severus spoke in a low voice that was full of remorse, "Lily, I-"

"-That's alright. I understand." Lily replied with quiet acceptance.

"I can, however, tell Dumbledore. May I borrow this?" Severus asked, still holding the photo book in his hands.

"My family album?" Lily blinked.

"No, just this photograph." Severus explained.

"Uh..........I guess.........If it'll....help....somehow." Lily shrugged. "Just try not to damage it. That's the only picture of them."

"It will be safe with me and I'll return it as soon as possible." Severus assured his love, sliding the photo out of the album and into the pocket of his robes.

Severus and Lily sat in silence for a moment and drank their tea together.

Between their passionate night and the mystery of the photograph, Severus and Lily both found that their thoughts were racing.

The previous night.

How unplanned.

How wonderful!

What to do now?

When would it happen again?

And the photograph?

Severus wondered what Lily's grandmother had to do with everything and how she knew Voldemort as Tom Riddle.

Beyond that, Severus couldn't help but wonder how Lily's grandmother had come to know Tom Riddle at all.

Lily kept secretly guessing what Severus wanted with a picture of her dead grandparents and what that could possibly do to aid the Order's fight.

The silence in the room became overwhelming.