Chapter 19 - Monster

If ever there was a shimmering cauldron, it was the cauldron in which Severus dropped the medal the following evening.

Lily stood beside Severus in his office at Hogwarts while they waited anxiously and stared at the cauldron.

After a few suspenseful moments, the metals and jewels bubbled as they slowly melted together.

"Excellent thinking, love." Severus congratulated Lily.

Severus's tone was as even and calm as ever but Lily could hear the distinct, pleased joy in his voice.

It took Lily a moment to respond because she was busy thinking about what their success with the potion meant.

Severus had been right.

Surely, the guardian of Slytherin's locket was-

"I'm just glad it worked, Sev!" Lily said with a laugh. "Though it does make me a bit anxious......you know......about when I'll see her again." Lily said quietly.

Severus glanced over at Lily and he furrowed his brow in sympathy when he saw a frown form on her lips.

Severus took Lily's hand as he made a solemn promise to her, "As quickly as possible, I'll bring her to you.....once it's safe......once you're both prepared.....you have my word."

"I don't doubt it, Sev." Lily said, flashing Severus a bittersweet smile. "Do what you do best, focus on your mission, my part can come later."

Severus stared into Lily's eyes for a moment before he pulled his wife close and sweetly kissed her lips, hoping to alleviate some of her pain.

Lily raised her hands and placed them on either side of Severus's face and the simple motion set off a mutual longing inside both of them.

During the hour that followed, it was truly amazing how close Severus and Lily came to spilling the priceless potion as they bumped into the furniture and crashed against the walls while they made love.

—————————————————————

The translated formula stated the potion needed to brew for three months.

Severus was certain that must have been an oversight, but no, the instructions were correct.

It was already spring when the glittering, golden potion was finally ready.

By then, Lily and Severus had grown into daily routines together as husband and wife.

The Snapes' kitten, Bixby, was starting to outgrow the tiny, wooden house that Lily had placed in the kitchen for him.

At Hogwarts, the academic year's second semester was just past the half-way point.

Everything was moving forward, including the Death Eater's campaign of terror.

Voldemort's numbers seemed to be growing with each passing day.

Unfortunately, the Order's size remained mostly the same.

Perhaps it was because Voldemort was more ambitious.

Perhaps it was because Dumbledore was unwilling to trust many people.

Or, perhaps Dumbledore's plan for victory did not rely on the number of his fighters.

—————————————————————

As soon as the potion was viable, Dumbledore asked Severus to bring the mixture and meet him and Hagrid in the sea cave where Severus had first encountered Odessa.