7

ELIZABETH's POV- December 31st

New Years Eve. I love Christmas, but I'm sorry, I absolutely hate New Year's; it's the worst holiday.

First off, you get people posting on Snapchat about "new year, new me" like no. You're just gonna be the same old bitch.

Second off, New Years calls for a party. Obviously. In previous years, Ashlyn would have a small thing at her place with just our friend group, which was fine by me because it was only us and it was actually fun. But ever since I started dating Percy, I have to go with him to his New Years party, the one all the popular kids go to. He has one every year at his house (mansion. his house is huge) and his parents are never home because they're gone all night at a party if their own. It's only a little bearable because the rest of the group goes now and if things don't go well I can just talk to them, but still. It's annoying.

So that's why at around 8 pm I'm getting ready, squeezing my legs into a tight and short black skirt and slipping a tiny cropped sparkly tank top over my head, because that's the expected attire for these types of parties. If I were at Ashlyn's, I could wear sweats and a t shirt, but no. And I didn't eat hardly anything today just so I'd look good in this top.

I take a pause from applying my mascara when I hear my phone ringing. I pick it up, and of course, it's Percy. We haven't spoken since last night.

"Hey babe, listen, before you even say anything, just hear me out."

I nod, but then remember he can't see me. "Okay. I'm listening."

He takes a deep breath. "Okay. I know yesterday was weird and all, and I still think we should talk about things, you know. But I don't like this spot we're in. It's like we're in... a fight, I guess? I don't know. But I miss you. I miss us. Can we just forget about everything for now and try to enjoy tonight? You're still coming, right?"

"Yes." I say, "and yes, of course. I... I miss us too."

I imagine him smiling on the other end of the phone. "Cool. People are starting to get here so I should go. Hurry up and get over here. I can't wait to see you."

"Im leaving right now. See you soon."

"Okay. Bye babe. I love you."

I barely have time to put my phone down before the back door to my room opens. I jump a little from being startled.

"Sorry," Ricky says. Of course it's him. "Nini's here to drive me to Percy's and told me to ask if you wanted a ride."

"Yeah sure," I say quietly, following him out.

"You okay?" He asks.

"Huh?" I look up at him and see he looks concerned. I can't meet his eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine."

I sat in the backseat of Nini's mom's car. The ride to Percy's is short, but I hated every second of it. Nini and Ricky were up front talking and laughing so quietly I couldn't hear what was so funny. I felt like a little kid in the backseat left out by the adults conversation up front.

Once we got there, we ended up having to park pretty far away because the street was already lined with cars. I obviously wasn't dressed for this weather and I shivered the whole walk over.

Once we got inside, Nini and Ricky walked off and left me alone completely which got me really mad, but I figure Nini's trying to find a way to break the news that she's leaving.

"Liz!" I look over to see where my name was being called from. It was Jordan, one of the guys from the basketball team. He held a red solo cup tightly in his hand. "Percy's been looking for you, where've you been?"

"I just got here," I mumble.

"He's in the kitchen waiting for you."

He does that thing where he points two fingers at his eyes and then at me, and laughs loudly once he sees my expression.

I roll my eyes a little a fight through the crowd of people dancing and screaming into the kitchen where the music wasn't as ear shatteringly loud.

I spot Percy leaning over the counter, two hands wrapped around a beer. His face lights up when he sees me.

"Hey babe," he pulls me into a hug. "I missed you," he whispers into my ear.

I pull away. "Missed you too," I force a smile.

A group of girls from North high run past us, giggling. Percy rolls his eyes at them.

"What?" I asked.

He shrugs. "A bunch of girls are going skinny dipping in the pool after midnight."

I glance over at the girls again. One was tan, long legged and blond. Another had darker skin and the prettiest curls. The other two were brunettes and one's hair went all the way to her butt. They were all so pretty. Maybe if I looked like them, I'd wanna go skinny dipping. Well, probably not, but still.

"Hey." Percy breaks my train of thought. "What's going on with you?"

I frown. "I'm sorry, I'm just really tired and not in the mood for... all this."

"Let's just go sit down. You want this?" He says, offering me his beer. I decline.

He holds my hand as we walk into the living room. I'm not sure why he thought I'd even wanna go in here where it's the loudest. A bunch of guys were playing beer pong on the coffee table and the music was still blaring.

Percy was talking but I could barely even process his words.

"Hey I'll be right back," I say, cutting him off mid sentence.

"Okay," he glances at his phone. "Just hurry up, it's almost midnight."

I nod and am relieved he doesn't question me about where I'm going. I just needed to get away.

I end up upstairs by Percy's bedroom door. It's common knowledge that his room is off limits during parties, because couples always try to sneak into bedrooms and he hates it when they want to go in his. I open the door a crack bug stop short when I hear voices coming from inside. Nosily, I press my ear up against it and strain to hear when I realized that it was Ricky and Nini.

"When... when do you leave?" Ricky. Nini told him about YAC.

"...tomorrow."

"Oh." It's silent for a beat. "Well, I'm... I'm really proud of you, neens. I mean, YAC is just... wow. It's such a great opportunity and I know it'll be great for you. Im just gonna miss you."

"I know. I'm gonna miss you too. I was thinking of not going—"

"What! No! Nini, don't be stupid. This is such a once in a lifetime opportunity, I absolutely will not let you pass it up. We can make things work. We can FaceTime every day. Twice a day. Whatever we need to do. It'll all work out, because I love you, and I'd do anything to make you happy."

"I love you too."

I back away from the door, feeling bad about spying on their private conversation.

I walk back downstairs slowly when I hear everyone screaming. They've all gathered in front of the TV as the count down to the ball drop goes.

"TEN! NINE! EIGHT!"

I scan around the room until I finally find Percy. He smiles lopsided at me and I rush over. He pulls me close to him.

"THREE... TWO... ONE!"

He smashes his lips against mine in the rough way that I hate and he tastes like cheap beer. Everyone around me is cheering and screaming and having the time of their lives while I'm wondering if Percy would do anything to make me happy. I should be able to answer that question with an easy yes. But the hard truth is, I'm not even sure anymore.