5

RICKY's POV- Tuesday, December 25th

It's Christmas Day, and it's just me and my dad here all by ourselves, our first without mom, and nothing feels right at all.

We're both sitting on the couch watching a Christmas movie.

"I'm glad you decided to stay here for the holidays," Dad starts, "but when your mom called and I told her you weren't coming for even New Years, she seemed really upset."

"Well that's her fault!" I argued. "She's the one who left us."

"It doesn't matter. She's your mom, Ricky, and you need to remember that she didn't leave because of you. Anyways, I'm not saying you have to go. But just think about it at least, alright?"

I sigh. "Fine."

Suddenly his phone starts ringing. He takes a glance at who it is, and when he sees he quickly gets up and steps outside to answer it. Huh. That's weird. My dad only ever goes outside for a call when it's important, but what could be so important that it couldn't even wait until after a holiday?

The back door opens. "Hellooooo?" It's Elizabeth. I hop off the couch and walk over to her. She's in the kitchen and has found the fruitcake cookies we made last night. Dad hates them but I always make sure to make a batch still because they're Ellie's favorite.

"Wow these are good," she says with her mouth full.

I roll my eyes at her. "Stop talking with food in your mouth. You know I hate that. What are you doing here so early anyway?" Every year, Ellie and her mom come over for Christmas dinner, but it's only 2 pm.

She frowns a little. "My mom just got called in to work. She won't be back for dinner, and I was just all by myself, so..."

"She has to work on a holiday? I thought she took off."

"She did but then she had to cover someone's shift I guess. And she can never turn down a shift because money's tight you know. I mean we both knew she couldn't afford to take off in the first place so I guess it worked out she had to go in today still."

Before I even get a chance to respond, my dad walks back in from the front door.

"Who was that on the phone?" I ask.

"Hey Elizabeth. Merry Christmas!" He tries to change the subject, and he can't look at me, so I know somethings up.

"Who was it!" I demand.

He looks between Ellie and I and sighs. "Listen, Ricky, I wasn't gonna tell you until after dinner..."

"What!" I say, now getting really annoyed.

He leans on the counter. "We're moving."

I stand still for a moment, still trying to process. "What are you talking about? Moving where?" I finally manage.

"Into an apartment. Without your mom's salary it's hard to pay all the bills on time and with just the two of us it doesn't make sense to have this big house anyway..."

"Dad! We can't move! This is where I've lived my entire life. Why can't we just stay here, why can't we just—"

"Enough Ricky!" He cuts me off and sighs. "Look, I'm trying my best here, and I just—"

"Whatever. It's fine, Dad." I walk off toward my room and I can sense Ellie following me. I flop down on my bed and scream into my pillow.

Elizabeth hops up next to me and sits with her back against the wall. "Can you calm down please?"

I feel my entire body tense up. I sit up and glare at her. "Call down? I just heard news that basically is turning my world upside down and you're telling me to calm down? How would you feel if this was you? Having to leave the only place you've ever known? You'd be upset too and you know it! So don't you dare tell me what to do or how to feel!"

"Stop yelling at me!" She screams back.

I look down, immediately feeling bad. Lizzie's always been there for me, and she's trying to be helpful now and instead I'm just lashing out and taking all my anger out on her. "I'm sorry," I whisper.

She sighs. "Look, I'm just saying, maybe its not the worst thing in the world. It sucks, obviously, but like... there's gotta be some good that'll come out of it, right?" It feels like she's not only trying to convince me, but she's trying to convince herself as well. Then it hits me that, when I move, she won't be living right next door to me anymore.

She wouldn't be able to come over at midnight when I call her and beg her to watch American horror story with me because I'm too scared to watch it alone. We won't see each other all the time and constantly be able to talk and come over on short notice.

Without thinking, I wrap my arms around her and pull her into a hug. At first i feel her tensing up until she finally relaxes and hugs back.

"I'm gonna miss this," she says quietly.

"Yeah," I reply. "Me too."