Okay

Chapter 5

Amity offered to drive Luz home that night after the practice. Luz, who knew that Jared would be waiting for her, tried to refuse the offer, but Amity insisted. This was concerning. Luz didn't want anyone from Glandus to find out about Amity or the others, lest they get hurt. Also, Amity made Luz feel weird. She made her stomach squirm and heart beat fast. They got into Amity's fancy car and Luz buckled up. She didn't like cars much, her last experience in one had been...traumatic. But Amity's felt safe, and it smelled like vanilla.

"Can I have your address?" Amity asked, handing Luz her phone. She quickly put in the address for the building. As they drove, Amity would occasionally glance at Luz, who was growing increasingly nervous about Jared. Would him and his gang try to hurt Amity? No, she wouldn't let them. Luz was brought out of her spiraling thoughts by Amity.

"Are you okay?"

:::::::::::::::::::::

Amity could tell that Luz was stressed out, her face was twitching slightly and her already abnormal breathing was going faster. Luz nodded, even though it was clear she wasn't okay. Amity pulled over and scrolled through her phone before selecting a song.

"Here," She said. "This song always relaxes me when I'm stressed out." A ukulele started playing and then a sweet voice came through the speakers.

Just hold me a little bit closer

The water is rising and getting colder

Hold your breathe we're going under

But it's okay

We'll be okay.

Amity smiled as she saw Luz's shoulders relax and her face stop twitching. The girl closed her eyes and tapped her hand to the beat of the song.

Hold my hand just a little bit tighter

Don't let go we're flowing higher

Close your eyes the light is getting brighter

But it's okay

We'll be okay.

As long as you hear "keep me save from the storm"

We can watch it as it rages on

And as long as you hear "wrap me in your arms"

We can wait until our problems are gone

Currents are getting stronger and we can't hold on much longer

But if we stay together we'll be okay

We'll be okay

Holding on don't let go out my hand

In the distance I think i can see... (?)

We keep going we make... (?)

It's okay

We'll be okay.

Though is cold and is hard to breathe

I know is dark and is hard to see

Just hold on and follow me

It's okay

We'll be okay

As long as you hear "keep me save from the storm"

We can watch it as it rages on

And as long as you hear "wrap me in your arms"

We can wait until our problems are gone.

Currents are getting stronger and we can't hold on much longer

But if we stay together we'll be okay

We'll be okay

If we stay together we'll be okay

We'll be okay

Just hold me a little bit closer

The water is rising and getting colder

Hold your breathe we're going under

But it's okay

We'll be okay.

Luz had a soft smile on her face, and for once, it wasn't forced. Amity could really see how good-looking Luz was when she wasn't so tense. She looked peaceful, and Amity was glad that she was able to see this side of her.

As long as you hear "keep me save from the storm"

We can watch it as it rages on

And as long as you hear "wrap me in your arms"

We can wait until our problems are gone

Currents are getting stronger and we can't hold on much longer

But if we stay together we'll be okay

We'll be okay.

Luz was fast asleep by the end of the song, and Amity pulled back out onto the road. She was calm now too, even though she hadn't even noticed that she was tense earlier. When she pulled into the girl's neighborhood, Amity could see that this was a very run-down area, and Luz's apartment building was even more so. It was an old brick building covered in water stains and graffiti, the windows were dirty and some were even broken.

She gently shook Luz awake, much like she had done this morning. Luz yawned, and saw that she was home. Her eyes widened a little fearfully and she started rubbing at the bandages on her hand. Luz opened the door and stepped out of the car. But before she shut it, she turned back to Amity. Sticking her head back inside, she spoke. Her voice was soft and kind.

"Thank you, Amity." Then she shut the door, leaving Amity in a state of shock. Before driving away, she glanced back at the shabby building and noticed that there were some other people standing at the entrance, probably some friends of Luz's or something. Thinking nothing of it, Amity drove off, intending to go home and study.

:::::::::::::::::::

Just as Luz had expected, Jared was waiting at the building for her when she showed up. Today it was only him and two other guys, the others must have left.

"Hey, Noceda. Who was that in the car with you? Your new girlfriend? She looked pretty, I couldn't fathom why she would tolerate your disgusting presence." Luz looked down with shame. Why did Amity drive her home? She probably just pities me, Luz thought. Why else would someone like that spend time with a freak like her?

The beating that night wasn't the worst she had ever experienced, but it was by no means better than last night's. Her arm wound reopened and Jared and his buddies had kicked her in her face, causing her nose to bleed and her lip to split. Her temple was also bleeding by the time they were done.

"See you later, Noceda." Jared said mockingly as he walked away, leaving Luz lying on the pavement. After a few minutes, Luz forced herself to her knees, and coughed up some blood onto the ground. Pulling herself up, she wobbled slightly. Probably a mild concussion, she thought.

After patching herself up that night, Luz pulled out her phone to find a text from Amity.

Amity Blight: Hey, I had fun tonight. Let's do it again soon.🙂

Luz sighed, what was Amity playing at? She seemed so nice all the time, and seemed to be okay with Luz's silence. Heck, she even let her join her and watch her friends at their band practice. Even after only two days, Luz had even managed to speak to her. Logically, Luz knew that she should push Amity away and continue on with her life, but a larger part of her felt that this girl was genuine.

Luz Noceda: Yea, we should.