Masterpiece

Chapter 20

It had been five days since Luz had gone home. She had already told her Mamá that she was staying at Amity's. Camila had been more than happy that Luz was staying at her 'friend's' house. Luz had managed to get the night off from work because today was the Battle of the Bands. She was excited to hear Amity perform. She had only seen snippets of the Hex-Men's actual performance. Currently, she was sitting in Mx. Whispers' room while the music teacher was trying to teach Luz to read music. But Luz was finding it difficult to understand why she needed to learn how to do this. Mx. Whispers had also told her that they had a surprise planned.

"I just don't see the point of reading music if I can play everything by ear. Also, why did you call me in here during my study period? The battle is in two hours." Luz raised an eyebrow suspiciously. Mx. Whispers rolled their eyes and smiled a little.

"My, you're impatient." Then their face took on a more serious look. "Luz, you have an amazing talent. I have never had a student quite like you in all my years of teaching. Recently, I was approached by Principal Bump. He asked how my students were doing and I happened to mention you and your skills. He seemed rather impressed with what I told him, and he wants to witness your talents for himself." Mx. Whispers placed a hand on Luz's shoulder. "He wants you to close out the performances tonight on guitar." Luz's eyes widened and she sprang to her feet.

"I-I'm not sure, Mx. Whispers. What if I screw up? I don't even have an electric guitar! I don't have a song prepared either..." Mx. Whispers held up a hand, silencing Luz's rambling.

"I'm not saying you have to do it. But I do encourage it. This could go on your college applications, on resumes! Heck, some people might see you and want to hire you for private performances!" Luz thought for a moment, then sighed.

"Fine, I guess I can try it." She couldn't resist the idea of possibly making money and making life better for her and her mother. Mx. Whispers clapped their hands excitedly.

"Wonderful! The school can provide you with a guitar and whatever else you need." Luz thought for a moment. Then an idea came and she grinned.

"Well, there might be a couple things..."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

Luz sat in the audience as some band called The Banchees played. They were really bad, and she was trying really hard not to cover her ears. She hadn't told Amity and the others that she was performing yet because she wanted it to be a surprise. The Hex-Men were playing next, and she was excited. The other band finished their song with the lead singer screaming into the audience. Bump came out onto the stage as they left. He picked up a microphone and spoke.

"And, now, give it up for our next act: The Hex-Men!" Luz clapped and grinned as her friends all came out onto the stage, Amity leading them. They were all dressed in black and grey. Luz thought Amity looked especially amazing. Her purple hair was loosely curled, she also was wearing black lipstick and eyeliner, making her gold eyes and pale skin stand out. They all took their places on the stage. Amity grabbed the mic and called out into the crowd.

"Hello, Hexside! Who's ready to rock!" Everyone cheered. Amity counted into the song.

1...2...3...4
1...2...3...4

So much pressure, why so loud?
If you don't like my sound, you can turn it down
I gotta roll
And I walk it alone

Luz's jaw dropped. Amity sounded amazing! Her voice was so bold and powerful. Everyone else in the audience was cheering.

Uphill battle, I look good when I climb
I'm ferocious precocious
I get braggadocios, I'm not gonna stop
I like the view from the top

You talk that
Blah blah that la la, that rah rah sh
And I'm so done, I'm so over it
Sometimes I mess up, I eff up, I hit and miss
But I'm okay, I'm cool with it

I still fall on my face sometimes and I
Can't color inside the lines 'cause
I'm perfectly incomplete
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I
I wanna hang with the greatest gotta
Way to go, but it's worth the wait, no
You haven't seen the best of me
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I

Those who mind, don't matter
Those who matter, don't mind
If you don't catch what I'm throwing then I leave you behind
Don't need a flash
And I am leaving like that

They talk that
Blah blah that la la, that rah rah sh
Go with the punches, and take the hits
Sometimes I mess up, I eff up, I swing and miss
But it's okay, I'm cool with this

Amity locked eyes with Luz and grinned. Luz grinned back. She suddenly felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning, Luz saw Mx. Whispers standing next to her.

"You're on deck, Luz. We got what you requested. Everything is ready." Luz nodded and left with Mx. Whispers. Amity glanced at them curiously, but kept singing.

I still fall on my face sometimes and I
Can't color inside the lines 'cause
I'm perfectly incomplete
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I
I wanna hang with the greatest gotta
Way to go, but it's worth the wait, no
You haven't seen the best of me
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I

I still fall on my face sometimes and I
Can't color inside the lines 'cause
I'm perfectly incomplete
I'm still working on my masterpiece
Masterpiece, masterpiece

Luz and Mx. Whispers went backstage and the music teacher handed her an electric guitar. It was purple with white lightning bolts.

"Here, Luz. This was my guitar growing up. I had to run home to get it. Be careful. Now, I managed to get the sheet music for the song you'll be playing and will be playing piano behind you. I also asked Edric and Emira Blight to help us with the background instrumental."

I still fall on my face sometimes and I
Can't color inside the lines 'cause
I'm perfectly incomplete
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I

Luz couldn't believe how much effort Mx. Whsipers had put into this. She hugged her teacher.

"Thank you." She whispered.

I wanna hang with the greatest gotta
Way to go, but it's worth the wait, no
You haven't seen the best of me
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I
Still workin' on my masterpiece

The song ended, and the audience cheered. Principal Bump walked into the stage as Amity and the other band members went to take their seats in the audience.

"Now, for our closong performance, please welcome Hexside's newest student: Luz Noceda!" The audience applauded. Mx. Whispers patted Luz on the shoulder.

"Are you ready?" They asked. Luz took a deep breath and nodded.

"Yeah, let's do this."