Fire and Rain

Chapter 17

Amity found Luz during final period in the library. The learning resource staff had requested for her to come and help Luz with her homework, as Amity was the only person she would talk to. Currently, Luz was was hunched over the table, her face scrunched in an adorable look of concentration. Amity smiled, and tapped her on the shoulder. Luz flinched and jolted from her seat. Once she processed who it was though, she relaxed and sat back down. She motioned to the seat next to her, and Amity sat down.

"Do you need some help?" Amity asked. Luz shook her head stubbornly, making Amity roll her eyes. She glanced at Luz's work and started to point out little mistakes she saw. Luz sighed, but didn't protest. They worked for a while in that method. A few minutes before the final bell, Luz spoke.

"Hey, Amity?"

"Mm-hm?"

"Today is my Papá's birthday. I'm going with my cousin Hunter to visit him. Can you come with me? I want him to know about you." Amity smiled softly and took Luz's hand in her own.

"Of course I'll come." Luz smiled, and laid her head on Amity's shoulder, making the purple haired girl blush deeply. They stayed like that for the last five minutes of class time. After the bell rang, the two made their way back out to the parking lot, hand in hand. When they got outside, Amity heard a voice.

"Hey, Little Hendrix! Over here!" The two girls turned. There stood a tall blonde boy with red eyes. Amity couldn't help the strange sense of familiarity she got when she saw him. She looked over at Luz who was smiling broadly. The two walked over to him. When he glanced at their joined hands, he grinned and held out his hand for Amity to shake.

"Hey, my name's Hunter." Amity smiled and let go of Luz's hand in order to shake Hunter's. She smiled kindly.

"Amity. Amity Blight. It's nice to meet you." Hunter's face took on a surprised expression.

"You don't happen to be related to Edric Blight, do you?" Amity nodded.

"Yeah, I do he's my brother." Then her face dawned with recognition. "Wait! I remember you. You were Edric's friend! I remember, you used to come over all the time." Hunter laughed and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, a mannerism both him and Luz shared.

"Yeah...friend." He muttered, then looked to his cousin. Luz was staring down at her feet, unsure of how to join in the conversation. Hunter noticed this, and placed a hand on her shoulder, making sure to add pressure so she wasn't uncomfortable.

"Alright, we should get going. LH informed me that you're joining us?" Amity nodded and Hunter smiled.

"Alright, cool. Just drive behind us so you can get there safely." He turned to Luz. "Hey, I stopped by your place and grabbed your guitar so you can play for him." Amity smiled at how sweet the dynamic between Luz and Hunter was. Hunter clearly knew her really well and loved her a lot.

Hunter and Luz got into his car and Amity got into hers. The drive to the cemetery was quiet. Amity had had Luz in her car so often lately that it felt almost empty when she was in there alone. The cemetery was in a small, shaded area just outside of Bonesborough. Amity parked right next to Hunter's car and stepped out. Luz was grabbing her guitar from Hunter's car.

"Are you ready?" Amity asked. Luz slammed the trunk closed.

"Yeah, I am." She sighed. Hunter tapped Amity's shoulder.

"Hey, can I talk to you real quick?" He asked. Amity nodded and he pulled her aside. His face was solemn.

"So, you can probably tell that this is a really hard day for Luz and I. Carlos was my uncle, but he treated me like a son. He was Luz's father. We both loved him more than anything. He taught Luz how to play guitar, he always made time for us when we were unhappy, and he loved us unconditionally. Neither of our families ever really had much, but he always tried to make them better." Amity listened intently, taking in Hunter's every word and feeling the emotion that went into each one. He continued.

"Basically, what I'm saying is that Luz has had it pretty rough since he passed, and needs someone who is there for her. Camila is always working, and I'm in college. If you want to be her friend, or even something more, you need to know that it's not easy, but it's worth it to have Little Hendrix in your life." He smiled at her sadly, and gestured for her to follow him. Amity was in awe of how dedicated Hunter was to Luz. She also knew that Luz was dedicated to Hunter as well. And in that moment, that she wanted nothing more than to be there for her.

They walked through the gates, passing headstones until Luz stopped in mid stride. She turned to the stone that was on her right and sat down in front of it. Amity read the inscription.

Carlos Noceda:

1968-2016

Hunter sighed and pulled Amity a small distance away from Luz so they were out of earshot.

::::::::::::::::::

"Feliz cumpleaños, Papá." Luz whispered. "It's Luz. I'm sorry Mamá couldn't be here today, she's working again. We really miss you. I really miss you. Things...aren't so good right now for us. We don't have much food, and Jared is still beating me. Sometimes I feel like I just want to give up. But, I think things could possibly get better. I finally made some friends. Willow is really sweet and soft, Boscha is a little intense, but she has a good heart. Gus is super excitable and funny, and Amity is one of the greatest people I have ever met. I like her a lot, and maybe one day she'll want to be my girlfriend. But we're waiting on that." Luz started to tune her guitar. "Anyways, I have a song to sing for you. I hope you like it." She put a capo on the third fret and started to pick at the strings.

Just yesterday mornin', they let me know you were gone
Suzanne, the plans they made put an end to you
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song
I just can't remember who to send it to

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again

Won't you look down upon me, Jesus?
You've got to help me make a stand
You've just got to see me through another day
My body's aching and my time is at hand
And I won't make it any other way

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again

Been walking my mind to an easy time
My back turned towards the sun
Lord knows, when the cold wind blows
It'll turn your head around
Well, there's hours of time on the telephone line
To talk about things to come
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you, baby

One more time again, now
Thought I'd see you one more time again
There's just a few things coming my way this time around, now
Thought I'd see you, thought I'd see you, fire and rain, now

When Luz finished the song, tears were falling freely from her eyes. She sniffed, and stood up.

"Te quiero, Papá. Volveré a visitarme pronto."