Vienna

Chapter 10

Luz didn't have any lunch again. She never seemed to have anything to eat, which kind of explained why she was so thin. The girl in question was sitting at the lunch table in silence, listening to music. She had long since taken off Amity's sweatshirt. Boscha had her arm around Willow, and Gus was working on homework.

"Luz?" Amity addressed her. The Latina looked up and paused her music, it seemed to calm her. "Why don't you go and buy some lunch? You must be hungry." Luz shook her head and looked down in embarrassment. She wrote on her whiteboard, I can't. I don't have any money. It's fine. Amity frowned.

"Wait, don't you make tips? You work at a restaurant." Luz's face flushed. She shook her head. Then Boscha interrupted. Smacking her hands down on the table, she stood up and leaned across it. Amity could see a mischievous glint in Boscha's eye, and she didn't like it.

"Okay. Here's what we're going to do. I'm gonna move this along. Amity, give Luz five bucks and make her go buy something that contains protein. Seriously, Luz, even though we just met, I can see that you clearly don't eat enough. Little Miss Perfect here needs to make a move and help you out, no matter how much of a gay mess she is."

Amity wanted to kill Boscha right then.

Luz just looked confused as Amity reached into her purse and pulled out her wallet, her face was burning bright red. Even though she hated to admit it, Boscha was right, she shouldn't let her feelings towards Luz distract her actions too much. Amity stood up and held her hand out to Luz.

"Come on, let's find you something to eat." Luz looked up dumbly at Amity and her face flushed. Nodding, she took Amity's hand. Amity felt Luz's rough skin brush against hers, sending warm tingles down her arm. Boscha smirked, and Amity sent her a death glare. The two of them walked across cafeteria, not realizing that neither of them had let go of the other's hand.

::::::::::::::::::

People were staring.

And whispering about them.

Luz didn't like it, she could feel her anxiety level rising. Amity didn't seem to notice, but it was overwhelming to Luz. Of course this would go unnoticed by Amity, as was popular at their school, with lots of friends, why would she notice a couple whispers? Luz's shoulders hunched slightly, wanting to disappear. The lights felt bright, and the whispering sounded like yelling to her ears. Amity's hand was nice in hers, but it added to all the other overwhelming sensations that were already there.

Luz quickly snatched her hand back, Amity turned to face Luz, looking slightly hurt. Luz slowly backed up, flashing back to Glandus. She turned and ran out of the cafeteria, leaving Amity confused and a little concerned.

"Luz, what's wrong?" But before she could reach her hand out to touch the Latina's shoulder, Luz bolted from the cafeteria. Boscha and the others glanced inquisitively at Amity, who just shrugged her shoulders.

Luz ran down the hallways, turning corner after corner until she saw an open door. She quickly ran inside and shut the door. Breathing heavily, Luz looked around and saw that she was in the music room. A large grand piano was placed in the middle of the room, and a couple different kinds of guitars sat on stands in the far left corner. The place was illuminated from the window, and not the fluorescent lights, which Luz was grateful for.

She strode over to the guitars and selected the acoustic one. Sitting down on the floor with it, Luz tuned the instrument until she was satisfied with its sound. She strummed a G minor chord, then started to pick out a tune that she had heard played out on the piano a million times. Her shoulders started to relax as her fingers worked along the strings, and she sang.

Slow down you crazy child

You're so ambitious for a juvenile

But then if you're so smart tell me,

Why are you still so afraid? (mmmmm)

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?

You better cool it off before you burn it out

You got so much to do and only

So many hours in a day (Ay)

Luz didn't hear as the door slowly opened, and someone stepped into the room.

But you know that when the truth is told

That you can get what you want

Or you can just get old

You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through (Oooh)

When will you realize... Vienna waits for you?

Slow down you're doing fine

You can't be everything you want to be before your time

Although it's so romantic on the borderline tonight (tonight)

Too bad, but it's the life you lead

You're so ahead of yourself that you forgot what you need

Though you can see when you're wrong

You know you can't always see when you're right (you're right)

You got your passion, you got your pride

But don't you know that only fools are satisfied?

Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true (Oooh)

When will you realize... Vienna waits for you?

Slow down you crazy child

Take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while

It's alright, you can afford to lose a day or two (oooh)

When will you realize... Vienna waits for you?

And you know that when the truth is told

That you can get what you want or you can just get old

You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through (oooh)

Why don't you realize... Vienna waits for you?

When will you realize... Vienna waits for you?

Luz finished off the picking pattern, then she heard someone clapping slowly. She opened her eyes to see a stranger standing on the other side of the room. They were average height, with light blue hair that was graying at the nape of their neck and round glasses. Luz backed up a little, her anxiety returning slightly. Then the stranger spoke.

"Bravo! That was beautiful. Billy Joel is always appreciated in my classroom." The stranger chuckled, their green eyes shining with mirth. Luz relaxed, this person was obviously a teacher. They looked down at Luz, and smiled.

"There's no need to be nervous, I know who you are, Miss Noceda. The school informed us that you were transferred from Glandus High. What they neglected to inform me of, however, is your clear affinity for music." They held out their hand to the puzzled girl, who ignored it and stood on her own. The teacher didn't seem offended by this, they just continued to speak.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Raine Whispers, the band and music instructor here at Hexside. You may call me Mx. Whispers." Luz stared down at her feet, avoiding eye contact with Mx. Whispers. She nodded, wishing she had her whiteboard with her, so she could communicate.

"Miss Noceda, while I have heard about your diagnoses, and understand that it's uncomfortable for you sometimes, I would appreciate it if you would look me in the eyes, as it's the polite thing to do." Luz fidgeted, but did as she was told. Mx. Whispers nodded, and was about to speak again, but the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. They sighed.

"It was very nice to meet you, Miss Noceda. Feel free to come in here whenever you feel is necessary; a talented musician like you is always welcome."