Chapter 14: THINKING

Audio titled: PUSH THROUGH

Chapter
014

Thinking
(I Won't Stop)

***

"Pardon?" asked Jeoseung Saja, as if he hadn't heard right

"He blacked out," repeated Jung Hwa. The leader just looked at her perplexed. Jung Hwa sighed.

"He has this...condition," she began a bit unsure. Jong Woo would kill her for this.

"He seemed to be in perfect health two days ago."

"He's not sick. It's... difficult to explain. I have never seen or heard anything like it. Since I met Jong Woo, he would eventually have these episodes where he would pass out for several hours or even several days. At first we thought he had amnesia or something alike. We had him examined but physically he is perfectly fit. It's his brain. You have met him, but I don't think he would show you what he can do on your first meeting. He is brilliant you know. It's not just a rumour. Actually the rumour doesn't even cut it. I know it doesn't seem so when you speak to him. He's downright awkward in most human interactions. He's not interested in anything social at all, and certainly not in politics. But I've seen him do things with his mind that I wouldn't have thought possible."

Jeoseung Saja looked at her oddly. "You do realise I'm most certainly not backing off after you praise him so much?"

"I don't want you to back off. God knows how long I've been trying to find someone who could handle him."

The leader grinned approvingly and nodded for Jung Hwa to continue.

"His ingenuity comes with a price. His mind can focus on a problem so completely that he forgets everything else. Everything. I've seen him once in that state, I didn't yet know it was the reason for his blackouts but it scared me nonetheless. It was as if he was in a trance. He blocked out everything else and was scribbling notes and calculations on everything he could find like a madman. But this intense focus isn't the real problem. Honestly I can't explain what the exact cause is either but...it's like his brain uses up all his energy. As if every ounce of stored sugar and fat is used to provide enough energy for his brain to go into overdrive. Even his body heat drops dangerously. And even when his whole body screams for sleep and food to restore his reserves, he doesn't even realise it and keeps on thinking about the problem. He only stops when he finds the solution... And by then his body is so worn out that he simply blacks out. "

Jeoseung Saja folded his hands under his chin and considered her words.

"Are we talking about problems concerning a mathematical formula or maybe a particular complex construction? Or do you mean problems in general, like a decision in life and everyday worries?"

"Both. If something catches his interest, his brain will start working faster and longer than humanly possible."

"So, to solve problems no one else could, his brain exhausts his whole body and he passes out for several hours. I can see it is quite an extraordinary condition and I can understand your general concern, but without wanting to be rude... it's not such a big problem isn't it? I mean, it's nothing food and sleep couldn't cure."