Chapter 12: CHESS PIECES

Audio titled: KOTO

Chapter
012

Chess Pieces
(They're the Kings)

***

No one tried to stop them while they walked down the corridor

No one tried to stop them while they walked down the corridor. Moon Jo had known no mercy; they had to step over dozens of bloodied bodies.

Soo Oh caught up to Jong Woo and walked only centimetres behind him.

"You're so dead," Soo Oh whispered maliciously.

Several steps behind them Jong Woo could see Moon Jo grin.

"I know," he answered.

They reached the stairs and Soo Oh passed Jong Woo and ran up first.

"He likes you," commented Moon Jo from behind.

"Charming," replied Jong Woo dryly and hurried out after Soo Oh, not wanting to be alone with the leader in a hallway already full of men he killed so easily.

The rain had stopped but the sky was still covered in dark clouds and the streets were muddy.

Soo Oh was already a few steps ahead and waited impatiently for them. The boy obviously wanted to check on his father as soon as possible.

"It's a pity I didn't arrive sooner." Moon Jo had reached the end of the stairs and was closing in on Jong Woo. "I would have loved to see more of that."

His eyes never left Jong Woo, but Jong Woo obstinately kept on looking ahead.

When Jong Woo stayed silent Moon Jo continued. "I'm curious, how did you make Sung Ryeol believe you were leader Jeoseung Saja? No offense but...you really don't look the part, dear."

"Your arrogance precedes you," snorted Jong Woo.

"My arrogance?" Moon Jo was now walking side to side with Moon Jo, their shoulders almost brushing. Like always the man didn't seem to grasp the concept of private space.

"You just agreed on my behalf to a challenge no group could possibly win." He took a large step and turned to block Jong Woo's path. "You do have a plan don't you, dear?"

"Err..." Jong Woo shifted uneasy from one foot to the other. Now that Sung Ryeol wasn't here, all pretence of self-assurance was gone.

"How many of your men are in town?" he asked nonchalantly.

Moon Jo grabbed a handful of Jong Woo's hair, yanked his head up and forced him to look into his eyes.

"Nineteen. With Soo Oh. And no one fights like me. So, you better start using that brain of yours and tell me you can come up with a strategy, or I swear you will beg for death."

Jong Woo shivered but said nothing.

"Or you could beg now for forgiveness, saying how wrong you were and how utterly ridiculous your notion was to impersonate me. Just so you know; for it to be effective, I expect you on your knees, babe."

Anger boiled up in Jong Woo and he knocked the other's hand away.

"Go to hell Moon Jo! How about you explain to me why a completely unprotected child walked into my home, eh? Or why my workshop exploded because some dumbass leader is after your territory and kidnapped said child. Or how I ended up surrounded by men wanting to kill me for trying to protect the little rascal! Go on, explain! You may remain standing," he mocked.

He tried to walk past Moon Jo but got held back.

"Correction. We are eighteen, since one of my men got killed walking in your home."

"They tried to kidnap me!"

"You didn't read your invitation."

"Why did you have to use a freaking letter?"

Moon Jo sighed annoyed. "Being young is a hindrance, you of all people should know that. If you want to be taken seriously as a young leader, you have to respect the old ways. Using precious paper as communication is more than an invitation, it's a message and it adds to your reputation, dear."

"Why on earth would anyone think so far for a stupid invitation?" Jong Woo huffed.

"Politics, sweetheart, politics."

"Well, I'm no good at politics," grumbled Jong Woo.

"No kidding," stated Moon Jo flatly.

"Are you coming already?" whined Soo Oh.

"Why did you say he liked me?" wondered Jong Woo aloud and they started walking again.

"He shows his affection with insults and demands," Moon Jo grinned, "You should be honoured; he even commented on your death."

Jong Woo snorted. "Why are those mischievous little humans so important? They are nothing but trouble!"

"They are the real core of the groups. If this were a game of chess, the children are the kings. If you want to destroy a group you don't attack their leader, you kill their children. Kill the leader and a new one will rise. Kill the child and the group has lost an important reason to exist. Sung Ryeol promised no mercy. That means even if we have clearly lost, he will still kill Soo Oh."

Jong Woo watched Soo Oh's black head bouncing from one side of the street to the other, looking back every few seconds to see if they were finally coming. Jong Woo cursed his weak heart. Any sane man would pack his things and get the hell away from this mess.

"I can't let that happen now can I?" sighed Jong Woo. "Fine, look... I'll figure something out but you have to tell me Sung Ryeol's choice of location as soon as possible."

He risked a glance at Moon Jo. "If you want to win this, it won't be what people generally call a fair fight."

Moon Jo smirked. "I don't care. As long as your wonder weapons don't break any rules, I won't hesitate to use them."

They reached a junction and Moon Jo took with Soo Oh the left street.

"How did you find us? And why the hell would you come alone?" Jong Woo shouted after them.

Moon Jo paused and turned back. "I have my sources. I told you: no one gets away with hurting one of my members. And I was more than enough."

Jong Woo wondered how anyone could be so arrogant without pretending.

"One last question Moon Jo: If children are the real kings, what are the leaders?"

In the distance, he could still see the dangerous smile on Moon Jo's lips.

"Isn't that obvious darling? They are the players. After all, chess figures have to be told how to move."

And with that they disappeared around a corner and left a dumbstruck Yoon Jong Woo behind.

***
To be continued...

Author'sNote: Yay, look who found the time to update! Not much to say except a huge 'thank you' to everyone who is reading this, and special thanks to the diligent commentors! Sorry for the late update by the way. I hope everyone still reading my work.

Stay safe ya all!