Chapter 19: PREPARATION

Audio titled: BULLETPROOF

Chapter
019

Preparation
(Stop Distracting Jong Woo)

***

"Your birth certificate? How did you get that?"

Jong Woo shrugged. "It was just always on me. I don't have any memory of my survival, just this hazy extract of the fire and my mom screaming. And that only since this evening. I guess I just assumed that my parents abandoned me during the chaos and... someone helped me out of pity? I honestly have no clue."

"You could have crawled out of the burning lab, but we searched the town for you. It is not possible that you got away that fast. It's as if someone just took you with them, but with the chaos almost upon us, that really wouldn't make any sense. What do you remember from your childhood?"

Jong Woo shrugged again. He had tried to recreate his path of survival many times but always bumped into a black hole at the end.

"When I was almost seven, I remember being in a small village. There were no other people and I got scared because it felt so lonely, like I was the last person in this destroyed world. Then I just remember walking in a bigger town where I stole food from that particular stupid gang of older kids. They were so easy to trick that I lived off their goods for several weeks."

Jong Woo laughed, remembering how great he felt each time he managed to nick a bit of food.

"I remember other groups, not with leaders and stuff, those didn't exist back then. Just really small groups of people traveling across the land and gathering food. I followed one unnoticed and stole a tiny bit of their food until they noticed me and I had to run. Then I found myself another group and followed them and so on. When I was twelve I landed in Seoul. People started to settle down in the old buildings. I helped them repair stuff and they gave me food for exchange. Then I began to gather all kinds of material and started building my own stuff. You are sitting in the result of it."

Jong Woo gestured at the rows of shelves behind Yoo Cheol.

"You had impressive survival skills for a child mixed with plain luck. While it explains a great deal it strikes me as odd that you of all people should not remember your earlier years. Have you considered that you block out your earlier memories like you did with the accident? If you can remember yourself as a one year old, you should technically be able to remember a great deal about your first six years."

Jong Woo once again forced himself to remember the fire and searched for other earlier memories. It only gave him a light headache.

"I don't think it works that way. I only remembered the fire because I met you. Maybe if I would meet whoever helped me as a baby, the memories would come back."

"That is a possibility. However, you didn't remember anything while meeting Jeoseung Saja, who knows why you remembered me."

"Hmm, maybe because I last saw Moon Jo as a child? His appearance probably differs more from my memories than yours. Although the same time span lies between you, you already were an adult back then and your physical appearance didn't change as much as Moon Jo's."