Chapter 10- Varin and the goddess of slaughter

"Is there an end to you beasts?" you groan and maneuver swiftly between the mist monsters. An entire pack jumped on the attack as you were reaching the end of Lagune fields. "Next time... I should be careful for what I wish for!" you say breathless. It's been a while since you had to use that many spells before, each of a kind and for a purpose. In addition, you had a sense of uneasiness as you felt someone spying on you. So you blocked their lane, it felt like a spirit but you weren't sure of it since your focus was on defending yourself from the enraged beasts before you.

"What the hell are you doing here kid?" your head spins to see Matt hiding on a tree branch. You crouch down and leap in his direction, anchoring your right arm around his waist you pull him down just in the nick of time- before a mist wolf attacked him from behind.

The boy yelps in surprise and clutches at your arm, "I followed you because it's a full moon. That's when a pack of mist monsters gathers up in the fields and wreaks havoc. A merchant said that earlier today after you left the bakery... I'm sorry miss (y/n) but I couldn't let a nice pretty lady like you be in any danger... I know that I'm helpless but-"

"Enough child," you caught him off. A serious expression dawns on your face, you were only messing with the mist monsters so far but now that there's someone in danger- that being Matt- you decide to put an end to it and kill them off. "You don't have to apologize... thanks for worrying about me Matt" you set him behind a large tree and smile down ruffling his grey hair. "I'll be right back... don't go anywhere".

Not waiting for a response, you jump out of his sight and into the center of the pack. "Alright beasts... time to end this..." you mumble before letting your magic overflow out of your body. Your eyes turn a glowing white and your long hair spirals above your head. "Rot away" you utter these two words as you slowly raise your hands from your sides to become parallel with the ground. Once they are, no monster is left to be seen. No evidence of them being there in the first place. You let out a sigh, wishing you could have found the reason they were attacking people in the first place.

You call out the person that unintentionally threw a wrench in your plans, "come out now Matt". The boy, clutching the paper bag you gave him earlier this day steps from behind the tree looking apologetic. He looks around before coming closer to you, "where did the monsters go?" he asks you in a normal tone.

"I- I scarred them away," you lie in order to avoid scaring the child away. "It's too dangerous for you to go back alone now... so I'm taking you with me. Okay?"

Matt nods in agreement and follows you to Rosehill village. You arrive as the sun begins to rise. The village is still waking up, shops are starting to open. People dusting dirt away from their doorsteps. Looks like they are early risers... wonder how well does their knowledge about mist monsters extends... You continue to make your way through town, ignoring the confused looks you are getting from some passerby. Matt inches closer to you. You whisper a question, "is everything okay Matt?"

"They don't look friendly..." his answer's spot on. Sure they don't seem hostile, but their eyes hold nothing but emptiness.

"Excuse me," you stop and walk towards a flower shopkeeper, "Can I ask you for directions?"

The shopkeeper tenses up as she looks into your eyes. Do I look that scary?

"S-s-sure," she stutters.

"Where can I find a mansion here? From the looks of things... everyone here is somewhat poor"

"Why are you looking for a mansion?" a man with a huge body and a butcher knife in his hand asks from behind. Matt jumps behind you, between the shopkeeper and you.

"Geez Mat, why are you so jumpy today?" you smile sheepishly at the child then address the butcher, "you see here," you hold up the request paper, "I came to this village to place a barrier around a mansion. But there are no mansions as far as the eye can see".

The butcher squints his eyes at the paper you're holding and looks between you and the written words. "Are you really a mage?" he questions

"There's one way to find out," you answer implying that he points you to the mansion and you place the barrier is the only way you will prove yourself.

The butcher points his finger in the air, upward. Then lowers his arm and leaves back to his shop. You raise an eyebrow, confused. However, your confusion doesn't last long as Matt's shocked voice ring in your ears, "miss (y/n)... look! It's the mansion!"

Your gaze falls to Matt and then follows the direction his finger is pointing at.

"WHAT THE HELL?" you yell causing the butcher to laugh. "IT'S A FREAKIN FLYING MANSION!"

You groan and tell Matt to climb on your back, muttering to yourself "I swear I am going to give the person who put that request in an earful!"

You crouch down, making sure that you have a good grip on Matt and leap in the sky like a rocket. Matt hides his face in the crook of your neck. I should have warned him first...

You land with a thud on the entrance and walk up to knock the door. Before your knuckles can make contact with the wooden material, the door swings open revealing a face you thought you would never see again. You let Matt slide off your back as you eye the man standing in front of you suspiciously. Before you query his existence, you place Matt under a sleeping spell.

"You never seem to change... Master..." the man says, smiling venomously at you.

"Change is overrated... you should know better than to expect me to change," you reply coldly.

"I must say... I wasn't expecting you to come knocking on my door so early," he steps aside motioning you to come in. You stay rooted to your spot, not moving a muscle.

"You didn't give me a chance to knock, avatar of annihilation,"

"Why because I was so excited to see you again..." he pauses, pondering which name he should call you by. He bows from the waist ninety degrees, crossing his right arm over his chest, letting the palm rest over his heart, the avatar of annihilation- Varin.

"Welcome back... goddess of slaughter"