the beginning

[ 1st September, 1971 ] 

AMAYA SHAFIQ'S world seemingly began on the 1st of September , 1971 - when she first laid her eyes upon the castle - the conicle shingles , the lights coruscating through the stained glass windows , the flurry of a myriad stars that covered the earth with a hush. She stepped out of the train , just another first year in the passing crowd - yet , ambition blazed in her irises. To be away from her family , their expectations - and to have chance to exhibit her mesmerising skills as a witch.

But that was only but a part of it , a tiny part of what was going to be. And although she had hardly any idea of what she was going to be - which path she was going to choose , she knew well that in her heart - however torn she maybe , she was firm about one choice. Befriend that boy with hazel eyes who sat with her on the same train compartment. He , his friend with mercury irises and raven tresses - a Black , quite obviously - intrigued her , roused her curiousity.

So she sat in a boat , caramel irises searching the boats afloat upon the lake for the pair. She felt the wooden boat dip lower beside her - and she found that same boy she had seen in the compartment. Back on the train , the duo had hardly payed attention to her - the hazel eyed boy rambling about the glory of being in the Gryffindor house , the amazing taste of chocolate frogs and other such things - while the boy with grey retinas only nodded , and added on occasionally.

She had said only two words to him  - "shut up."

And that was when he first noticed her , reading silently in a corner. She had already dissected from her observation of him that he was a Potter - judging by how he probably was not aware of the invention of combs or hairbrushes , wore thick glasses and worshipped Godric Gryffindor. What could she say ? She had been reading a Herbology book , and James Potter and his mysterious friend was much more interesting than that.

James , on the other hand - was quite surprised , and frankly , scared at how quietly yet firmly she had asked him to quieten. She fashioned an olive green beret , elegant clothes that screamed of a pureblooded legacy and held a book between her fingers. How had he not noticed her before ? So , he followed her - pulling Sirius along with him as they occupied the same boat as her. 

The boat dipped as he sat next to her , Sirius opposite them , and she turned to face the duo.

"James , James-", He began , extending his hand , but the girl said ,"I know."

He raised an eyebrow , but did not pry , and she returned the handshake with a polite smile. 

"Sirius Black", Sirius introduced with a charming smile , before saying ,"We met at a party. Amaya Shafiq , am I right ?"

The girl , Amaya , nodded , strands of raven air falling to her warm brown irises.

"Wait - so you know each other ?", James asked , an ounce of surprise in his voice. Amaya nodded , before retorting ,'Not exactly. But yes , we have , met at a few occasions previously."

She left out the detail that Walburga and Orion Black seemingly appeared everywhere the Shafiqs went - a possible pact of alliance , or maybe even an audacious plan of arranged marriage on their minds.

The three conversed , bonding over their collective admiration for quidditch , sweets and defense magic. And even as Amaya was sorted into Slytherin , James made an exception for her. He realised that , all Slytherins were not bad - and , quite possibly , it was the beginning of his fading prejudice.