Ashes

Liona was fitted properly with the light armor. She had grown to be nearly the size Lionheart had been. A true Majesty of the Sky and Winds, as her namesake implies.

Eiriell looked every bit the Gryphon Monarch in her light armor, even her helmet was fashioned the same way as the gryphon riders instead of the royal likeness. Her weapons at her side and her left clutched at the bone handle of her hunting knife.

King Ailduin was busy making preparations and giving orders, Elnaril had urged her son to stay in Eostrun while Eiriell could lead their forces.

Elnaril planned on marching with ground forces while Eiriell led the skies.

Be brave.

Eiriell swung up on Liona, the other winged-beasts and riders were preparing to follow the Elven Princess's lead.

Before she could surge, a peculiar figure was in the distance.

"Two of you, with me!" Eiriell commanded and quickly took off, two more riders followed her to the skies so that they could meet the figure.

It was Redtail.

And his rider, Folmer.

The Captain of the proud Gryphon Guard barely held on. The right half of his body was decorated in deep burns that both were numb and stung him all at once. Redtail's plume was slightly singed in some places, but not as bad as his rider. The brilliant grey hair that Folmer kept in a warrior's bun was also half singed, one ear stuck to his head and the rest of his skin was coated in a puss-like substance that oozed.

"Folmer!" Eiriell yelled.

"Prin...cess..." Folmer groaned out, "It... everyone is dead."

Eiriell narrowed her eyes, "What? How? The citizens?" She demanded.

"The citizens too." Folmer whined, he could barely keep his ruby gaze straight. "The Werenluna... they've set... fire to the forest."

"I-Impossible, this forest is enchanted against such things." Eiriell's eyes were haunted.

"The forest... burns... please..."

Folmer fell limply from the harness.

Eiriell reacted quickly, catching the elven man before he hit the ground.

Only to discover that the life had fled from Folmer's eyes.

The Captain of the Proud Gryphon Guard dead in her arms.

Then it snowed, which was peculiar for the time of year.

Eiriell looked up.

It wasn't snow.

It was ash.