20. The Elevator Reveal (Season 4 SPOILERS)

If you haven't watched "Optigami" yet, then don't read this! This takes place in the middle of the episode.

_______________________

Third Person POV

"Pla-uhhh." Adrien almost gave himself away when Marinette entered the elevator, looking like she had somewhere she needed to be. He guessed she was just running away from Mrs. Bourgeois as she was running around, causing trouble in her akumatized form.

"Tik-tiktoktiktok, time to get outta here!" Marinette saved herself from accidentally exposing her identity to Adrien. 

"We should just focus on getting to safety." Adrien knew that if he didn't transform right now, things were going to get hectic. As the elevator went down, he made his choice. At the same time, Marinette made hers.

"I have something I need to tell you," They said in sync. Adrien shushes her, seeing a pair of eyes staring at them through the wall. Whatever it was, it didn't look good. 

"You go first." Marinette tells him, scratching her ear as Adrien breathes out.

"I know I shouldn't be telling you this, but there's no other choice. I'm Chat Noir," Marinette's eyes widened as Adrien let his Kwami out of his shirt, and Plagg looked between them worriedly. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen. "What did you want to tell me?" Marinette flinched, still processing everything.

"N-nothing." She stuttered as Adrien smirked and nodded at his Kwami.

"Plagg, claws out!" Adrien transformed right before her, as the doors opened and he pulled her towards the stairs. "You should get out of here. It's not safe. Ladybug will catch up to me soon." Marinette was still dazed but she didn't hesitate to go through her plan with Rena Rouge.

After they defeated the akuma, Marinette didn't feel like herself. She left abruptly, leaving Chat Noir—Adrien standing in the middle of the room alone as everyone regrouped. He quickly hid again to detransform before meeting up with the rest of his friends in the presentation room. As Marinette walked out with Alya, Adrien pulled her aside. "Can I talk to you?" Frowning, she walked with him and followed him out.

"I know I kinda sprung this on you by surprise, but I would appreciate it if you kept it a secret. It's just that, Ladybug needed me and I...I didn't have any other choice." Adrien told her, blissfully unaware that he had just told Ladybug his secret identity.

"I understand, and now that I know, it's only fair that you know my secret. I'm....Ladybug." Adrien gasped as Marinette opened her purse and out flew Tikki, circling around them as Plagg peeped from Adrien's shirt.

"Hi again, sugarcube." Plagg stuffed a piece of cheese down his mouth as Marinette pursed her lips.

"Wow, I guess this was inevitable, huh, m'lad-Marinette?" Adrien rubbed his neck, looking away with a slight blush dawning his cheeks as Marinette nodded in agreement.

"While this was the most unconventional way, I guess it had to happen. I was already overwhelmed keeping the secret alone, and while this itself is a huge risk to our safety, sharing our identities might benefit us in the end," Marinette felt surprisingly comfortable, now that she was able to see her trustworthy partner and crush as the same person. "Oh, by the way, Alya knows I'm Ladybug." She nonchalantly dropped the bomb on him like it was an akuma.

"What?!" 

"I was pushing everyone away, and it was getting to be unhealthy. I can't even have a boyfriend because I have to keep this secret."

"You mean the past few days...you were off....because of Luka?" Marinette nods slightly as Adrien hugs her, whispering in her ear as she sinks into his embrace, sniffling slightly. "No matter what, I'm here for you, M'lady."